• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Warning - Reverse DNS does not match SMTP Banner

Richieboydev

Basic Pleskian
Hello,

OS = CentOS 6.5 (Final)
Plesk version = 12.0.18 Update #7, last updated at July 11, 2014 12:46 PM

I have been trying to make my sites better suited to anti spam measures. The only warning I have left to work out is:

Warning - Reverse DNS does not match SMTP Banner

In the Plesk settings i do have the outgoing mail setting set to Send from domain IP addresses and use domain names in SMTP greeting - still I get the warning.

I am using Post fix. This is a 1and1 dedicated server and I am using custom name servers for this domain. I believe the smtp banner is matching the main ip and not the domain.

Can anyone help me fix this issue?

Thanks,
Rich

Last edited:
Have you set the rDNS for the IP/s outside of Plesk?
You may need to ask 1&1 to do it, or it may be in the 1&1 panel.

Hope it helps

Kind regards

Lloyd

Thanks for your help. I am always pulling my hair out when working with dns.

Yes, reverse ip is set up if that is what you mean.

I believe the dns is set up correctly but also this domain is not resolving.. when I check dns though in mxtools I am getting the reverse banner message and it is saying the name servers are not resolving in a timely manner. I am using other same name servers on another domain fine.
74.208.174.189_2014-07-18_02-45-10.png

Thanks again for your help. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate it. 1and1 does not want to help if I am not using their name servers.

Last edited:
I think this is because the onlinehome-server.com is the hostname for the server. There are multiple sites.

PTR for this domain is
74.208.174.189_2014-07-18_03-08-05.png

I should just add "mail"??

Thanks

Can I just add another PTR record to each domain?

If I have a single mail server sending out all email for all domains how is it possible to have this match each domain?

Thanks

This is another site on the server I am having issues with trying to get from going directly into Gmails spam folder. The only warning in Mxtools now is the reverse smtp banner.

I have set up new name servers, spf record, etc. The domain has a dedicated ip with 2 name servers that have their own ip addresses. Those are ns1 and ns2.talkdevelopment.org..when I test talkdevelopment.org in the mxtool test it passes.

From the info below I can see it is using u17634561.onlinehome-server.com instead of the site domain..

I would be happy to give a small donation to anyone that can help me fix this.

Connecting to 74.208.224.253

220 u17634561.onlinehome-server.com ESMTP Postfix [2231 ms]
EHLO MXTB-PWS3.mxtoolbox.com
250-u17634561.onlinehome-server.com
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 10240000
250-ETRN
250-STARTTLS
250-AUTH PLAIN DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-8BITMIME
250 DSN [686 ms]