• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Watchdog and MySQL

MassimoP

Basic Pleskian
For a strange reason, after a reboot the Watchdog module does not recognize the mysql process (even if it is started and it is working) and tries to restart it.
Actually a new mysql process is started thus blocking mysql, the following lines appear in the mysql log file:

InnoDB: Unable to lock ./ibdata1, error: 11
InnoDB: Check that you do not already have another mysqld process
InnoDB: using the same InnoDB data or log files.

After this point, mysql stops to accept connections.

I don't understand why, but it is a weird behaviour of the mysql script which usually does not start another service instance.

The sequence of operations is:
1) start mysql at boot, it works perfectly
2) watchdog checks mysql, does not recognize its presence and tries to restart it
3) mysql start a new instance that block connections

any idea?

Check in /usr/local/psa/etc/modules/watchdog/monitrc that path to MySQL pid file is correct.

Thanks, I checked the path to the pid file and it is correct...

The problem arises only after a reboot.

Main caracteristics of the server in which I have this problem are
CPU AuthenticAMD, Quad-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 2372 HE
Version Parallels Plesk Panel v10.0.1_build109101029.19 os_SuSE 11.1
OS Linux 2.6.27.54-0.1-pae

Last edited:
For a strange reason, after a reboot the Watchdog module does not recognize the mysql process (even if it is started and it is working) and tries to restart it.
Actually a new mysql process is started thus blocking mysql, the following lines appear in the mysql log file:

InnoDB: Unable to lock ./ibdata1, error: 11
InnoDB: Check that you do not already have another mysqld process
InnoDB: using the same InnoDB data or log files.

After this point, mysql stops to accept connections.

I don't understand why, but it is a weird behaviour of the mysql script which usually does not start another service instance.

The sequence of operations is:
1) start mysql at boot, it works perfectly
2) watchdog checks mysql, does not recognize its presence and tries to restart it
3) mysql start a new instance that block connections

any idea?

I am using Monit (instead of the built-in Watchdog) and this does exactly the same thing! I have to setup Monit on an alert only basis for MySQL otherwise it breaks when it tries to restart that process.

Every time I start the Monit process (either manually or by rebooting my server) I get an alert from Monit saying that:

Connection failed Service mysql

Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 13:40:27 +0000
Action: alert
Host: myserver.info
Description: failed, cannot open a connection to INET[127.0.0.1:3306] via TCP

Your faithful employee,
Monit

I think that Whatdog and Monit are the same software...

As requested by the forum moderator, please post your server main information, in this way a resolution of this bug could be faster.

I think that Whatdog and Monit are the same software...

As requested by the forum moderator, please post your server main information, in this way a resolution of this bug could be faster.

Plesk Parallels Panel v10.0.1

CentOS - Linux 2.6.9-023stab052.4-smp

VPS running AuthenticAMD, Quad-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 2352

1GB RAM (my share)

10GB HDD (my share)

Hi! Have you had any luck solving the problem? Same issue here.

Same here with Debian 6.0 and Plesk 10.2.
On every reboot, something wants to start a second mysql process. When I stop all mysql processes and start it again, it works.

Any solution?

Back