• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Webmail will not resolve on new domain

Ch3vr0n

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
Almalinux 8.7
Plesk version and microupdate number
18.0.50 update 2
I have this domain that's a bit "unusual" that needed to be transferred, but now for some reason webmail won't resolve. The website itself is hosted on squarespace, previous registrar was nameweb and they paid extra for 1 mailbox. Previous registrar webmail was online via imapweb.nameweb.biz. The issue is that after copying over the former host dns records, the website was transferred over flawlessly and wasn't offline for even a single second, i can't say the same for the webmail.

nslookup just yields "Unknown: can't find webmail.domain.tld: server failed

DNS records

Code:
    Host                    Record type    Value
    domain.tld.                TXT        v=spf1 +a +mx +a:pl1.webhost.be include:pl1.webhost.be ~all
    _dmarc.domain.tld.            TXT        v=DMARC1; p=none;
    _imaps._tcp.domain.tld.        SRV        domain.tld.
    _pop3s._tcp.domain.tld.        SRV        domain.tld.
    _smtps._tcp.domain.tld.        SRV        domain.tld.
    domain.tld.                NS        ns1.webhost.be.
    domain.tld.                NS        ns2.webhost.be.
    domain.tld.                NS        ns3.webhost.be.
    domain.tld.                MX (10)    mail.domain.tld.
    www.domain.tld.            CNAME        ext-cust.squarespace.com.
    uniquesquarespaceID.domain.tld.    CNAME        verify.squarespace.com.
    webmail.domain.tld.            AAAA        webhost IPV6
    mail.domain.tld.            AAAA        webhost IPV6
    ipv6.domain.tld.            AAAA        webhost IPV6
    *.domain.tld.                AAAA        webhost IPV6
    webmail.domain.tld.            A        webhost IP
    mail.domain.tld.            A        webhost IP
    domain.tld.                A        198.185.159.145 (squarespace IP)
    domain.tld.                A        198.49.23.144 (squarespace IP)
    domain.tld.                A        198.49.23.145 (squarespace IP)
    domain.tld.                A        198.185.159.144 (squarespace IP)
    ipv4.domain.tld.            A        webhost IP
    *.domain.tld.                A        webhost IP

Several other domains have been linked for that same user to squarespace easily, but they don't rely on a working e-mail. And without webmail resolving, i can't do the next step to request an SSL certificate for webmail/pop/imap/smtp

It seems that your nameserver is not managed in Plesk, but is a nameserver at your domain name provider? In that case please contact them to find out why the webmail route is inactive.

The nameservers are external ones yes but they share the same hostname "webhost.be", and "webhost.be" is myself. Just seems to have taken unusually long. The webmail route is active now, but as expected now throws an SSL error that the existing certificate is only valid for "pl1.webhost.be" and not "webmail.domain.tld". I now need to figure out a way to setup an SSL certificate and apply it to webmail/pop3/imap/smtp. Can't do it via the plesk GUI as the moment i tick the box for pop/imap they all get greyed out and the one for "secure the domainname" takes priority. And that one is managed by squarespace.

I can set one up for just webmail, but can't secure mail access

If you don't have domain.tld on the plesk server (and you can't use workarounds like using sshfs to mount .well-known on the webserver), you'd have to create webmail.domain.tld as a domain in plesk to get it to set up Let's Encrypt. But that has all kinds of other problems ...
The easiest way is to have only www.domain.tld on the external hoster and 301-redirect domain.tld to it.

The domain not resolving has fixed itself eventually. Just took a little longer for the nameservers i guess. The remaining issue was with SSL not working. Due to not hosting domain.tld it wasn't possible to secure the mailserver with its own ssl certificate. Email client had to be adjusted to use the main server hostname instead of domain.tld as the mail hostname. All outstanding issues are solved for now.

Back