• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

what do you use for plesk hostname?

P

phingers

I thought the best method in setting up the plesk server was to set the hostname to

server.domain.com

or some such sub-domain.

But then postmaster and mailer-daemon emails go to

[email protected]

which is not setup as a vailid email, therefor bounces.

What is the best way to set this up? Why not use just domain.com

Or how do you setup the sub-domain with email?

set server.bla.com to the rcptlist and receive mail from root.

I think this was like I did with mine server.

I think there is more to it than that

So I have server.domain.com as the hostname, I have dns setup to point that subdomain to the server's ip.

I then add server.domain.com to the rcpthosts located in /var/qmail/control

Which tells qmail to accept mail for that subdomain.

But how do I tie that subdomain email to an actual mailbox?

I've tried adding that as a new host in plesk, but it wont let me.

I then add server.domain.com to the rcpthosts located in /var/qmail/control

Which tells qmail to accept mail for that subdomain.

But how do I tie that subdomain email to an actual mailbox?
If you wish for email addressed to '[email protected]' to be able to go to '[email protected]', where the same usernames would be used for both 'domain.com' and 'sub.domain.com', then you would create/modify the /var/qmail/control/virtualdomains file. Add sub.domain.com:prefixnumber (where it is the same as domain.com:prefixnumber)

Example:
mymaindomain.com:1
sub.mymaindomain.com:1
myotherdomain.com:1
aParkedDomain.com:1

Since all of these domains/subs have the same prefix number, any email addressed to '[email protected]', '[email protected]', '[email protected]', and '[email protected]' would all go to the same email dir/box as '[email protected]'

This assumes you don't want to actually use a Plesk domain license to setup the subdomain as a 'full' domain where the users would be totally separate from 'mymaindomain.com' users.

Hope I understood your objective properly.

Or you could just change the administrators email to an actual email address in server prefs.

Back