• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Please be aware: Kaspersky Anti-Virus has been deprecated and is no longer available for installation on the current Plesk release (18.0.63).
    Starting from Plesk Obsidian 18.0.64, the extension will be automatically removed from the servers it is installed on. For details and recommended actions, see the Feature and Deprecation Plan and the deprecation FAQ.

Question Which domain mail server should I use ?

LaurentR2D2

Plesk Certified Professional
Plesk Certified Professional
Server operating system version
Debian 12.6
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian v18.0.62_build1800240724.11 os_Debian 12.0
Hello,
I have a server with SD-xxxx.dedibox.fr as hostname, and several domains hosted on it. Each domain has DKIM/DMARC enabled, and a SPF record based on the template of the DNS template of Plesk :

v=spf1 +a +mx +a:sd-xxxx.dedibox.fr -all

Can each domain use its own mx for IMAP and SMTP, or should I use the hostname ? The first solution would be easier, since I can keep the original hostname, and don't have to change it for one of my domain.

Hi, there seems to be some confession to what SPF does and how it relates to sending and receiving email. An SPF record allows you to specify which servers (IP's) are authorized to sent email for a domain. It's unrelated to IMAP and SMTP. The MX records of a domain are for receiving email, which are also unrealated to SPF, SMTP and IMAP.

To let an email client (Like Thunderbird or a Smartphone app) make a connection to your server you can either use the domain name itself (like example.fr) or use the host name of the server. Whichever you prefer, both are valid options and can be used.

Back