• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Gmail Error unsolicited emails. What value in TXT?

CobraArbok

Regular Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Plesk version and microupdate number
Version 18.0.58 Update #2
Mail is sent from a domain in Plesk.
Testing with Newsletters spam test by mail-tester.com gives me a 10/10.
Nonetheless, the emails I send to GMail mailbox come back with the error.
Code:
host gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com[64.233.167.27]
    said: 550-5.7.1 [MY-IP-SRV] Gmail has detected that this
    message is 550-5.7.1 likely unsolicited mail. To reduce the amount of spam
    sent to Gmail, 550-5.7.1 this message has been blocked. For more
    information, go to 550 5.7.1

The plesk documentation suggests inserting a TXT record with v=spf1 +a +mx -all:

In my DNS (managed by ISP) I already have (for months) a TXT record with: v=spf1 +a +mx +a:my-srv.mydomain.tld -all
where my-srv.mydomain.tld is the hostname of the server with its own domain (not the one used to send mail) since other "web" domains are also present on this server.

What should I do?
Thanks in advance.

You might wanna check with google's postmaster's tools to see what it says: Sign in - Google Accounts That would be your first step.
Thanks for the reply.
The domain had to be verified; I have now created the TXT record and it is verified, but the emails continue to be rejected.
If I go to see the "Compliance Status" in the dashboard it says "No data found for this domain."

I don't understand why this is happening now: emails were previously accepted. At worst they ended up in SPAM, but they were never rejected.

@scsa20
Since I cannot modify my previous answer, so I will complete it here.
The Postmaster Tools guidelines state that no data appears if there is not enough traffic and I send very few emails to gmail mailboxes.
As I was saying I configured the domain to meet the specifications with SPF, DKIM and DMARC.
I even configured it for the BIMI standard although I don't think I need it.
What can be changed now to refuse my mail?

Maybe GMail blacklisted your IP address or the subnet? If mail-tester.com tests o.k. you have done all you could. Some email providers still operate their own blacklists. The content of a mail can also trigger spam filters.

Maybe GMail blacklisted your IP address or the subnet? If mail-tester.com tests o.k. you have done all you could. Some email providers still operate their own blacklists. The content of a mail can also trigger spam filters.
The domain is not present in any blacklist, except UCEPROTECTL3.
I have already reported the matter to my ISP, but if he doesn't solve the problem, what can I do?
Now GMail is no longer used only for personal mailboxes, but also for professional mailboxes. Furthermore, I think it also blocks Google Workspace boxes which are also used by state bodies.
I make little use of email and don't create mailing lists. Am I being penalized because other domains on this IP are spamming? Is it possible that there is no way around the problem?

You can ignore UCEPROTECTL(x) as GMail does consult this rubbish blacklist. (nobody really does)
It's also not a problem with missing/wrong SPF record or DKIM, as this would show in the error message you get from Gmail.

So, your email(s) just look like spam to Google, maybe there is an URL present in every mail (signature?) that has a low reputation?

My ISP states that UCPROTECTL3 does not negatively affect and that the Plesk configuration is to blame.
I tried 4 different SPF configurations:
  • v=spf1 +a +mx +a:hostname.domain-srver.tld -all
  • v=spf1 +a +mx +a:mydomain.tld +a:hostname.domain-server.tld -all
  • v=spf1 +a +mx +a:mydomain.tld ip4:IP-SERVER -all
  • v=spf1 +a:hostname.domain-srver.tld ~all
With ~ in the last SPF, if I didn't misinterpret the documentation, it should put everything that doesn't match the host in the SPAM folder, but even so it rejects the email.

Normally in my emails there is the URL of the domain (on Plesk), my email, the support email and the accounting administration email.
The logo is a URL referring to a PNG present in a domain folder on the Plesk server.
However, GMail also rejects text-only emails with nothing else.

From February 2024 the GMail guidelines have changed, but they should only concern those who send more than 5,000 emails. I will send 50 a month.

My ISP states that ... the Plesk configuration is to blame.
Really? How do the few other hundred thousand users successfully send emails to GMail with Plesk then?

I tried 4 different SPF configurations:
  • v=spf1 +a +mx +a:hostname.domain-srver.tld -all
  • v=spf1 +a +mx +a:mydomain.tld +a:hostname.domain-server.tld -all
  • v=spf1 +a +mx +a:mydomain.tld ip4:IP-SERVER -all
  • v=spf1 +a:hostname.domain-srver.tld ~all
With ~ in the last SPF, if I didn't misinterpret the documentation, it should put everything that doesn't match the host in the SPAM folder, but even so it rejects the email.
If Gmail blocked your mail due to a wrong SPF entry, it would tell you so explicitly in the response.
It does not here, instead it responds:
Gmail has detected that this message is 550-5.7.1 likely unsolicited mail. To reduce the amount of spam sent to Gmail, 550-5.7.1 this message has been blocked. For more information, go to ...

It would be best to ask GMail why they are blocking the mails.

Really? How do the few other hundred thousand users successfully send emails to GMail with Plesk then?

It would be best to ask GMail why they are blocking the mails.
My ISP doesn't say that Plesk isn't working, but that my configuration is wrong.
But I haven't changed the Plesk configuration; I use the standard one.

I also wrote to the Google community, but I'm sure they won't respond and whoever does will send me a link to documents I've already read.

That is a myth, at least with Gmail.
Gmail does reject emails from hosts that do not explicitly match the SPF record OR do not have a valid DKIM record. (so, if the email a properly DKIM signed, Gmail in general will accept the email, even if it comes from a host outside the SPF scope)

I spoke to my ISP (Ionos - 1and1).
They persist with their position:
  1. UCEPROTECTL3 does not affect mail blocking.
  2. The recipient is on Google and I have to ask Google why it's blocking my mail.
  3. The server is mine (with Plesk) and only I have to check what is wrong with the configuration. They don't provide support.
Yesterday I wrote in the Google Community, but no one has responded yet and I doubt I will ever get a response.
Do you have an email address or a form to open a support request?

I then verified the domain with MX Lookup Tool - Check your DNS MX Records online - MxToolbox. SPF, DKIM, DMARC and PTR records are correct.

At this point I can do these things (nothing else comes to mind).
  1. Give up mail on Plesk and only use ISP mail
  2. Move the server to another ISP
I could also change the server domain to match the one I use for mail. I don't know if it can help.
I could also move DNS management from the ISP to Plesk, but I don't know if it's feasible because it would have to be identified as a name server. I've also never done it.

I had encountered the same problem a year ago; so, I went to reread the posts from that period.
Even in those days all the parameters were correct. One day the problem disappeared on its own, I don't know for what reason.
Now I can't wait any longer.

Hi,

check if there are any forwarding from accounts on the Plesk server to Gmail. The only ocurrence on my server of this exact Gmail error (sometimes blocked, sometimes just delayed) was on forwarded messages only, but maybe it has some impact as well on the rest (I didn't experience this on not-forwarded outgoing emails, but still).

Let's recall a few key findings from this thread:
a) mail-tester.com scores 10 out of 10. This indicates that there is nothing wrong with the sending server configuration.
b) mxtoolbox.com reports that SPF, DKIM, DMARC and PTR are correct. This says, too, that there is nothing wrong with the sending server configuration.
One could conclude from these that there is nothing wrong with the Plesk configuration. The problem is either the mail content or that GMail has blacklisted your IP. This is something solely GMail can fix for you. And no, it does not matter whether your host might not be blacklisted elsewhere. GMail and some other big providers operate their own lists and do not disclose them to the public. Please, ask GMail why they are blocking your mails.

Back