• The new Python extension is now available. It allows customers to deploy and manage WSGI-based Python applications on their websites directly from Plesk.
  • Debian 11 has reached its end-of-life (vendor EOL date - August 31, 2026). Plesk Obsidian 18.0.81 is the last release to support it.
    If you are running Plesk Obsidian on Debian 11, we recommend you upgrade those servers to Debian 12 using our dist-upgrade tool.
  • We plan to deprecate and remove the support for XML RPC protocol versions earlier than 1.6.9.1 in Plesk Obsidian 18.0.82. We strongly recommend that you update all existing integrations using earlier versions of the XML RPC protocol to comply with the version 1.6.9.1 specification.

Why are e-mails entering the queue from #@[] to postmaster@<blah>.com

J

jrehmert

Guest
I've been looking for months and haven't been able to find any more information than the day I started looking. Frustrating!!!

In any case, almost every few minutes (and sometimes more frequently) a message shows up in the mail queue from #@[] to postmaster@... (see attached screenshot) or the following excerpts from the log:

Nov 1 21:54:54 linux qmail-remote-handlers[19456]: from=#@[]
Nov 1 21:54:54 linux qmail-remote-handlers[19456]: to=postmaster@...
Nov 1 21:54:55 linux qmail-remote-handlers[19458]: from=#@[]
Nov 1 21:54:55 linux qmail-remote-handlers[19458]: to=postmaster@...
Nov 1 21:54:55 linux qmail-remote-handlers[19459]: from=#@[]
Nov 1 21:54:55 linux qmail-remote-handlers[19459]: to=postmaster@...

Does anybody have any ideas what might be causing this???

Thanks!
- John
 
Originally posted by jrehmert
I've been looking for months and haven't been able to find any more information than the day I started looking. Frustrating!!!

In any case, almost every few minutes (and sometimes more frequently) a message shows up in the mail queue from #@[] to postmaster@... (see attached screenshot) or the following excerpts from the log:

Nov 1 21:54:54 linux qmail-remote-handlers[19456]: from=#@[]
Nov 1 21:54:54 linux qmail-remote-handlers[19456]: to=postmaster@...
Nov 1 21:54:55 linux qmail-remote-handlers[19458]: from=#@[]
Nov 1 21:54:55 linux qmail-remote-handlers[19458]: to=postmaster@...
Nov 1 21:54:55 linux qmail-remote-handlers[19459]: from=#@[]
Nov 1 21:54:55 linux qmail-remote-handlers[19459]: to=postmaster@...

Does anybody have any ideas what might be causing this???

Thanks!
- John

I guess Plesk 8.2.x had a problem with qmail handlers: mail header was not composed correctly, thus the messages were not sent. You should upgrade Plesk to the latest build of the 8.2.x branch: 8.2.1.
In my opinion it is really a good idea to keep Plesk build up-to-date, sometimes we face problems that have been already fixed and new build is available for downloading and installation.

./anb
 
I'm using 8.2.1...

CPU GenuineIntel, Intel(R) Celeron(TM) CPU 1300MHz
Version psa v8.2.1_build82070919.15 os_RedHat el4
OS Linux 2.6.9-5.EL
Key number PLSK.********.****
System Uptime: 40 day(s) 14:48

Any other recommendations?
 
My attempt

Apparently the # was supposed to send all double bounced mail to some sort of /dev/null, but that's not what happens.

I just implemented something here that I think will work:

1) echo "nospam" > /var/qmail/control/doublebounceto
2) echo "| cat > /dev/null" > /var/qmail/alias/.qmail-nospam
3) restart qmail

Let's see if that will do it. :)

Cass
 
Hey Cass,

Thanks! I've added that to the QMail configuration... I still see the #@[] senders pop up in the log every once in a while, but now I know they're going to /dev/null.

- John
 
A little more fun with qmail

Hi mate,

I could not get that working until I created a domain within plesk with the name of my local machine. Then, on /var/qmail/mailnames/my-machine/nospam/.qmail I put:

| true
| cat > /dev/null

and it worked perfectly.

It looks like Plesk's Qmail does not recognise the host name as local, hence needing your little push by including a domain with its name. :)

Now I can see messages being binned here.

Also, if you want to test it to ensure it is working, do a cat > /tmp/test
and tail -f it after restarting qmail.

Cheers

Cass
 
Back
Top