• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Why CentOS is chosen for Plesk in Plesk University ?

LaurentR2D2

Plesk Certified Professional
Plesk Certified Professional
Hello,

I'm following the Plesk University, and on the installation part there is a question concerning RAM, disk space, and OS. Concerning the OS, the choice is between Ubuntu, Debian, Red Hat Enterprise and Centos. The good choice is Centos. Why this distribution would be a better choice than the others ? Is it more secure or is the Plesk support better ?

Thank you

Hi LaurentR2D2,

sorry... I assume, that you misunderstood the question here. The questions is, what might be a problem that causes an installation ( or upgrade ) to fail and one of the possible answers depends on "yum" and "a missing repolist enabling". That has got nothing to do with a "better", or "good" choice of a possibly preferred operating system.

Plesk works best on each of the supported operating systems - no matter which one you choose. It is really a matter of "like" or "dislike", which operating system you choose, because each supported operating system has it's advantage or disadvantage for someone. ;)

Here is a screenshot of the question. It's about installing a server :

SafariScreenSnapz009.png

If I choose an operating system other than CentOS 7, my answer is marked as wrong.

Hi LaurentR2D2,

it would be wrong, if I would describe in detail the correct answer, or if I would describe in detail the wrong answers, because the Plesk university equals a school/university/college. You should LEARN there and make TESTS, which should not being discussed here in the Plesk forums. Pls. use the possible communication features at the Plesk university itself.

You already got my answer to your questions
Why this distribution would be a better choice than the others ? Is it more secure or is the Plesk support better ?
... which is still totally correct. ;)

Hi LaurentR2D2,

it would be wrong, if I would describe in detail the correct answer, or if I would describe in detail the wrong answers, because the Plesk university equals a school/university/college. You should LEARN there and make TESTS, which should not being discussed here in the Plesk forums. Pls. use the possible communication features at the Plesk university itself.

Ok. Sorry for the trouble, and thank you for your answers :)

You might also want to look at the developer and version numbers of each distribution on that list, which ones Plesk supports, which ones are EOL, etc, that might point you in the right direction!

Back