• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Why even use 'backup utilities'?

mparadis

Regular Pleskian
After using PSA for many years now, depnding on tools such as backup utilities that are never ready when a new release becomes available, watching people lose all their hard work and other problems... it seems to me that there should be another solution.

Not everyone can afford the VERY costly and newly integrated backup solutions that Plesk have made available into their latest server. I don't even understand why they would not spend the time building a proper built in backup system. Right now, we basically have 8.0 running on TLC for if it crashes, we don't have any proper backup/restore tools. Of course, as I write this, maybe they have been made available, I've not seen them.

Anyhow, my point is, why not very simply tar up the entire system, copy it over the network to another drive and you're done? For years, I've had the simplest scripts that just copy everything I need that is not only OS based (since I can quickly rebuild the OS if needed or have a drive ready) and that seems to work.

I just shut down PSA, copy everything including the /var/lib/mysql or where ever it is this time, fire everything back up. Takes only a short while and that's all I need to rebuild a system.

Any thoughts on this or low cost real time drive mirror tools that don't cost an arm and a leg?

Mike

Backup and Restore Solutions

Hear, Hear!!!

Fortunately, we have several servers that have enabled us to use migrate for server upgrades.

However it does not answer why SW-Soft would not include a viable backup and restore solution with P8 from previous versions.

Not everyone has the luxury of migrating to other servers before reimaging/upgrading.

PSABACKUP not being compatible with PLESKRESTORE is hurting a lot of folks, and should have been taken into account before releasing an upgrade from 7.5.x to 8.x

Although many products are available to backup/restore; again, SW-Soft should offer solutions to start-ups (individuals/companies) that do not require the purchase of extras AND/OR the loss of data to insure their sites/clients/business sites can be successfully updated after an upgrade.

If SW-Soft had limited resources as startup individuals/companies do, would they upgrade all of their servers from 7.5.x to 8.x solely dependent on the software they sell?

PSABACKUP not being compatible with PLESKRESTORE is hurting a lot of folks, and should have been taken into account before releasing an upgrade from 7.5.x to 8.x
I think one of the things hurting people most about this was the false advertising made by sw-soft with the release of 8.0.0 that claimed that the backup/restore was reverse-compatible and that pre-8 backups would work on the new system. They boasted control with the new utilities that they had not yet even started to develop.

Worse yet, there are still those that state the PSABACKUP files DO work with PLESKRESTORE all without PROOF.

Nice to know there are still Chicken Little's living in the world as we know it.

If someone has proof, let it be known!

Have we not purchased the product and deserve the FIX?

I, for one am not going to buy a product from a psaDOTcom that offers no better solution, either.

I purchased Plesk and the upgrade process should include a proper and complete upgrade process no matter what version or backup we are moving from?

The only actual non proprietary,non plesk version bitchy is 4PSA solutions, Client Backup and Total Backup. The prices aren't too high and we are running a promo at the moment as well.

The other day I had to build a PSA 7.1 system just restore a new client's backup, to make the sale, and I still had to restore it via command line of course.

Unfortunately, not everyone has the option to spend a lot of money on Plesk (which claims to have functional utilities), then have to pay a third party to purchase utilities that are supposed to do the same thing anyway.
Maybe if 4PSA is capable of releasing functional software, they should look into taking over Plesk... at least then, the utilities would at least work.

Back