• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Why is it the default setting to allow remote connections to databases?

hschramm

Basic Pleskian
Hi,

before opening a bug report, I want to know, why it is the default setting of all databases / db users to allow access from remote in the plesk ui. I know that per default the bind-address param of mysql is set to localhost, but think about the following scenario:

- Let 100 Users create their databases not caring about the default setting "allow remote connections from all"
- The mysql bind-address param is set to localhost (so nobody has remote access to the mysql)
- One user wants to access his db from remote
-> you have to reconfigure the mysql bind-address to 0.0.0.0 (or comment it out)
- Now 99 Users have a broader security risk in getting bruteforced for their databases

From my understanding the correct default value in plesk ui should be "only local connections"

Kind regards,
Holger

I don't believe this is actually the default setting. At least not on any of my Plesk installations. As @john0001 pointed out you can change the default setting for remote access via Tool & Settings > Database Servers > Settings.

Schermafbeelding 2021-07-10 om 11.13.51.png

@hschramm The default MariaDB my.cnf setting is a bind to localhost only. So even if Plesk had it set to allow for all, the database should still remain inaccessible unless my.cnf is changed to bind = ::.

You should also have p3306 blocked from 0.0.0.0/0 anyways....if you need remote access do it over a secured tunnel.

Back