• Please be aware: Kaspersky Anti-Virus has been deprecated
    With the upgrade to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.64, "Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Servers" will be automatically removed from the servers it is installed on. We recommend that you migrate to Sophos Anti-Virus for Servers.
  • The Horde webmail has been deprecated. Its complete removal is scheduled for April 2025. For details and recommended actions, see the Feature and Deprecation Plan.

Resolved Why plesk allows not to send mails [SMTP] if there is no inbox / mailsbox - why?

jmar83

Regular Pleskian
Hi there

Why plesk allows not to send mails [SMTP] if there is no inbox / mailsbox - why? That makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE (!!) i.m.o...

When i enable mailbox [for specific mail account] with 0kb/mb/gb, then it works again.

How to solve that issue, that mailbox may be disabled (with the radio button) but SMTP (sending mails) still working?

If a server allowed to send mail without logging in to a mailbox, everyone on the Internet could abuse the server as their smtp server. For that reason it is common practice that a login to the mail server is required to send mail. However, scripts on the server can submit to the mail server without logging in.

Theoretically you could have separate logins for smtp auth and imap/pop3. In practice, all I've ever seen is the imap/pop3 login also being used for smtp - as the only credential source.

Back