• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

why will the site (domain) not load) HELP

I

indranie

NameServer (I need this resolve ASAP)...

I created a client, add a domain to that client www.jacobsmit.com
I noticed that it created an ns.jacobsmit.com (name server ) entry in the DNS settings.

I change the NS at the registrar to ns.jacobsmit.com but the site is not loading up. http://www.jacobsmit.com

in the DNS zone for this domain..
Host Record type Value Sel
216.168.60.xxx / 24 PTR jacobsmit.com.
ftp.jacobsmit.com. CNAME jacobsmit.com.
jacobsmit.com. A 216.168.60.xxx
jacobsmit.com. MX (10) mail.jacobsmit.com.
jacobsmit.com. NS ns.jacobsmit.com.
jacobsmit.com. NS ns2.jacobsmit.com.
mail.jacobsmit.com. A 216.168.60.xxx
ns.jacobsmit.com. A 216.168.60.xxx
webmail.jacobsmit.com. A 216.168.60.xxx
www.jacobsmit.com. CNAME jacobsmit.com.

I see the site with http://216.168.60.xxx/jacobsmit.com_non_ssl/ but not with http://www.jacobsmit.com

i register 216.168.60.xxx ns.jacobsmit.com and ns2.jacobsmit.com with my registra ad a name server

i also change the ns information on the domain setup to ns.jacobsmit.com and ns2.jacobsmt.com

but the domain does not load!

I've contacted Plesk and no respond either!

Do I need a hosting file on W2K? Do i need to setup DNS outside of Plesk?

Also what about other domain.. will each one need to register their domain with ns.theirdomain.com or can i have 1 main ns.pleskdomain.com for all my customers to use?

Can someone point me in the write directions, it'll be greatly appreciated!

thanks in advance!

First, remember that when you change the names servers for the domain at the domain registrar it takes up to 72 hours for it to propagate.

As far as the DNS servers. Update the server DNS template to your needs. This is what will be used when creating the clients domains.

Example:

ftp.<domain>. CNAME <domain>.
<domain>. A <ip>
<domain>. MX (10) mail.yourserver.com.
<domain>. NS ns1.yourserver.com.
<domain>. NS ns2.yourserver.com.

Then under yourserver.com add the entries for your DNS servers.

ns1.yourserver.com. A 216.168.60.xxx
ns2.yourserver.com. A 216.168.60.xxx

That way if you ever decide to change the DNS servers you just update the IP's under yourdomain.com. Make sure the second DNS server is on another box. (another IP) don't use the same IP for both!.

This way when you or a client creates a new domain it will use this template to create their DNS entries. Please note that this doesn't affect already created Domains, so once you change the server DNS template to your liking if you want to change existing clients DNS entries just go to their domain DNS and click on Default, this will use the server template to recreate their entries.

*** Make sure their domains are pointing to your DNS servers ns1.yourserver.com and ns2.yourserver.com

*** Also remember the change takes up to 72 hours, what you can do is leave the ns.theirdomain.com entry there until the new entries are propagated. After that you can remove it!

Hope this helps!
Ricardo...:cool:

ok, i think i'm starting to understand what's going on...

the goal is to have all our stuff run through mycompany.com including ns1 and ns2 - so that when clients setup their sites (client1.com, client2.com, etc...) they'll need to update their dns at their registrar to ns1.mycompany.com and ns2.mycompany.com but their mail will still be hosted at webmail.client1.com.

so i'm guessing that when the cp says :

<domain>. NS ns.<domain>.

<domain> means that it will insert whatever domain was just setup right?

so when i declare it as :

<domain>. NS ns1.mycompany.

then it will always use that instead of inserting ns1.client1.com?

It will use the server template to created the domain dns records.

So for:
<domain>. NS ns1.mycompany.com.
<domain>. NS ns2.mycompany.com.

It will create DNS records like this:

client.com NS ns1.mycompany.com
client.com NS ns2.mycompany.com

To test it just click on the Default icon on the clients's domain DNS to use the newly updated server template.

The only place where you would need to ever change the IP for your DNS servers would be at "mycompany.com".

Hope this helps!
Ricardo...:cool:

ok so i've just set my ns records to read:

<domain>. NS ns1.mycompany.com.
<domain>. NS ns2.mycompany.com.

i'm guessing that's all i really need to set in order for the default dns for newly created domains to be set to ns1.mycompany.com and ns2.mycompany.com. so now all new accounts need only to set their dns records to point at ns1 and ns2.mycompany.com and things should come through the server and direct to the correct client site?

the rest of the dns info in the cp will default to client.com right?

seeing as how i'm using shared IPs, i'm guessing anything marked with <ip> will automatically insert the available IP when the account is created?

your help is greatly appreciated!

Back