• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

WordPress 500 Error

EricVP

New Pleskian
Hiya - Did a fresh WordPress install on a subscription. I was able to install new plugins via WordPress, and directly upload a theme file without any issues. However, when I tried to use the WordPress import too (uploading an 11MB XML file) I received an Internal Server Error, which brought the entire site down. No part of the WordPress site is accessible. Odd.

Checked the Plesk log - no errors there.
Nothing in the IIS logs that shows an error either.

When looking at the domain's logs, I see the 500 entry logged, but don't see any sort of reason for it having happened, to be able to resolve:

2015-03-23 15:43:59 W3SVC8 blackbird 66.147.239.188 GET / - 80 - 66.147.239.188 HTTP/1.1 Mozilla/5.0+(compatible;+MSIE+10.0;+Windows+NT+6.2;+WOW64;+Trident/6.0) - - tealeafswny.com.66-147-239-188.homeruncreative.com 500 0 0 331 288 3750

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

Eric

Hello,

Have you checked php upload limit That can be issue while importing the file. Checkout in phpinfo file. It will show you max file size and upload file size.
Increasing might help.

Hey 24x7,
Thanks for your reply - I had considered that the upload limit may have been an issue, however no part of the site is accessible now. Wouldn't the upload limit only cause a 500 error during a POST with a file upload? Just trying to access the homepage of the WP installation, or the WP-Login page, causes the 500 error now. That's what's tripping me up.

So you were able to install plug ins just fine through wordpress itself? If so I would move all the folders in the plug in directory out somewhere else so they cannot be activated and do the same with whatever theme you've uploaded and try going back to the site. If the site loads just fine start moving plug ins and themes one at a time until it breaks again which will allow you to find out what's causing it to break.

error 500 sounds like a php error. can you switch your php to a newer version and try that but make sure you increase your max upload file setting in new php. if changing to new php works and websites load fine go to add or remove components remove bad php version. browse to bad php version folder relocate bad php.ini then add bad php version back on and test site if that works just change your max upload size and that should work. Remember if you change something in php.ini you should restart the website.

It seems to be the WordPress Importer plugin. Just plain old trying to load the import.php page triggers the 500 error.

Back