• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

WordPress Toolkit update disaster

anastk

New Pleskian
An automatic update for Plesk / WordPress Toolkit 3.6.0 (21 Feb 2019) broke my website. I don't use this extension it came by default with Plesk and I didn't disable it...
Now after this faulty update my WooCommerce website is down for maintenance and I can't disable this mode because I don't have the paid license!

Uninstalling the extension didn't fix the issue my website is down for 6 hours now and I am losing sales!!!

Any idea how to solve this? I tried to create a support ticket but Plesk redirected me to my license distributor OVH. But they don't provide support for software on a dedicated server this is outside of the SLA agreement...

An automatic update for Plesk / WordPress Toolkit 3.6.0 (21 Feb 2019) broke my website. I don't use this extension it came by default with Plesk and I didn't disable it...
Now after this faulty update my WooCommerce website is down for maintenance and I can't disable this mode because I don't have the paid license!

Uninstalling the extension didn't fix the issue my website is down for 6 hours now and I am losing sales!!!

Any idea how to solve this? I tried to create a support ticket but Plesk redirected me to my license distributor OVH. But they don't provide support for software on a dedicated server this is outside of the SLA agreement...

Here is a screenshot explaining for the issue as well...

Screenshot 2019-02-23 at 13.02.50.png

We had the same issue on some of our servers. You have to delete the file named ".maintenance" in the webroot to resolve this.

Plesk should look into this asap, this is a very important issue as it breaks customers websites.

We had the same issue on some of our servers. You have to delete the file named ".maintenance" in the webroot to resolve this.

Plesk should look into this asap, this is a very important issue as it breaks customers websites.

Thank you, I deleted ".maintenance" and the entire WordPress Toolkit extension afterward...

Plesk isn't necessarily the root cause here. Plesk sees the .maintenance file, and that is why the toggle is shown. The file can be left behind from a failed Wordpress update.

Plesk or the WP Toolkit created these files exactly at 0:00 and did not remove them afterwards, so this seems to be Plesk update issue.

Yea, after my last reply I saw other comments in Discord about it. My last comment was more of just a general statement I guess if anyone finds this thread in the future.

According to the release notes of WP Toolkit 3.6.0-1601 the issue where an update left Wordpress behind in maintenance mode was fixed in that version.

Not sure I understand, we just saw this issue (actually an angry client alerted us to it). And we're running WP Toolkit 3.6.0-1603. So I'm not sure why we started seeing the issue on a version that was supposed to fix it.

And we're debating whether to continue using the WP Toolkit. This is a very extreme issue.

The client is running on a LIghtsail VPS with the free edition of Plesk, so they were frantic when they couldn't disable maintenance mode because it's not a paid version of Plesk. Nonetheless, if a free version of Plesk is offered, it certainly shouldn't disable mission-critical websites. We sold the client on Plesk instead of cPanel, and they are not happy with us right now.

How can we be sure that this won't happen again (especially since it's happening to us on a version that supposedly has already fixed the issue)?

Thanks,

Mark

Unfortunately we, too, had two customers where the same has happened some time on the latest update of the toolkit. But I am not sure whether this was caused by 3.6.0-1601, which was faulty in other ways, too, or 3.6.0-1603. The two were published to our systems only two days apart (one Thursday, the other one Saturday).

You can file a report of the bug here: Reports

Hi everyone.

First things first: this was indeed a bug in WordPress Toolkit. It really sucks that it happened and we're truly sorry about it. It was obviously not our intention -- we're actively using WPT for our own pet projects, and we definitely don't want stuff like that to happen. We're always taking extra care to make sure customer websites are not negatively affected by WPT updates. Unfortunately, not all issues can be found during the testing -- read on below for details.

Despite several people reporting the issue, our team had to spent quite a lot of time today trying to reproduce this bug internally before finally succeeding. Here's how you can encounter it:

1. Install a Plesk license that has full-featured WordPress Toolkit (trial license will also do) -- otherwise you won't be able to do step #3.
2. Install WordPress.
3. Enable and disable Maintenance Mode via WPT at least once (this creates maintenance.php file with the corresponding assets in a separate directory).
4. Install a Plesk license that doesn't have the full-featured WordPress Toolkit.
5. Wait until a new major WP version -- 5.1 in our case -- is released (major update is required, as minor updates won't trigger the bug).
6. Wait until WordPress Toolkit checks for the availability of updates.
7. Profit! Bug happens.

Note: the bug only exists in the WordPress Toolkit v3.6, which was released a couple of hours before WP 5.1, so very unlucky timing for us.

As you can see, this isn't a particularly popular or straightforward case, so we've missed it. Based on our support ticket analysis, only a small number of people were affected (thankfully), but even so, we're treating this issue very seriously (it's not the size, y'know). Here's what we're doing:
  • WPT 3.6.1 release on Saturday disabled all WPT 3.6 code, including the code responsible for this bug, until we have a proper fix.
  • WPT 3.6.2 release (tomorrow, if nothing goes wrong) will enable all WPT 3.6 code back, immediately applying a proper fix for the bug we're discussing here.
  • To prevent things like this from happening in the future (and to make it up to the unfortunate users who were affected by the bug), we're also making Maintenance Mode management free for Web Admin edition and all similar editions.

Hope this helps -- let me know if you have any questions or comments. Sorry, guys.

PS. I'm quite unhappy about this personally, so I'll do an RCA/postmortem with the team to understand how this happened and what we can do to ensure stuff like this won't happen again.

PPS. For the author of this tweet: dude, I don't know if you're reading this, but we're sorry and the fix is incoming. I just wanted to say that your tweet had our team rolling on the floor laughing -- some of them are actually asking me to make a "buy now bitch" T-shirt for the whole team. I don't think I've actually promised them to do it, but since they're reading this too, you've kinda put me in a precarious position... :D

Thanks @custer for the explanation and the information! Glad to see you found a solution to this, thanks for all your work!

BTW: We had one case where after the update to WPT 3.6.1 (but before 3.6.2) a database beloging to a Wordpress website of a customer subdomain was deleted during the nightly Wordpress update. Still unclear why and how this happened. The database was properly attached to the subdomain and in the action log I saw that the user "admin" from 127.0.0.1 deleted the database at around 03:30, without deleting the subdomain. The subdomain and the database already existed since a couple of weeks and no modification by us or the customer to it has been performed. Did you have any similar reports?

Good news, everyone! We have published the WordPress Toolkit 3.6.2 update I've mentioned in my post above. This update:
  • Enables all WPT 3.6 functionality
  • Properly fixes the maintenance mode bug
  • Makes maintenance mode management free for everyone
  • Properly fixes the bug that @Monty has mentioned above (BTW, thank you for your kind words, @Monty!)

Did you have any similar reports?

Yes, we do have one support ticket with the database removal issue, you're the second person to encounter it, unfortunately. This is a very rare issue because it only happens if there's a certain inconsistency in WordPress Toolkit database (an abnormal situation). However, since the impact of this bug is so brutal, we have immediately fixed it in v3.6.2 as well. Hope this helps, and really sorry about your database!

Cool, thanks for the quick update!

Yes, we do have one support ticket with the database removal issue, you're the second person to encounter it, unfortunately. This is a very rare issue because it only happens if there's a certain inconsistency in WordPress Toolkit database (an abnormal situation). However, since the impact of this bug is so brutal, we have immediately fixed it in v3.6.2 as well. Hope this helps, and really sorry about your database!

Nevermind the database, that's what backups are for ;)
Good to hear that I wasn't the only one (sorry for the other person though!) and that you already found a fix for it, nice!

Hi,

Thanks for the update. In case this helps...regarding the steps mentioned that trigger this issue, our client encountered it on a Lightsail server that (to my knowledge) never had the full-featured version of WPT. It was always the Web Admin Edition that comes with the server when you install the Plesk image. So I don't know if this means the situation can happen without the steps listed above. I'm hoping not, but wanted to share this info just in case it helps.

Thanks,

Mark

Good news, everyone! We have published the WordPress Toolkit 3.6.2 update I've mentioned in my post above. This update:
  • Enables all WPT 3.6 functionality
  • Properly fixes the maintenance mode bug
  • Makes maintenance mode management free for everyone
  • Properly fixes the bug that @Monty has mentioned above (BTW, thank you for your kind words, @Monty!)

We've just had the same issue with WordPress Toolkit version: 5.4.2-5072 leaving sites in maintenance mode. We caught one of them, but another had been left in maintenance mode for weeks until the client noticed, not a good look!

This is where the auto update settings are set to "Yes, but only minor (security) updates". Is this a known issue?

Back