• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Wrong duplicates-check on german IDN-domains with ß (sharp s)

Dave.E

New Pleskian
When trying to create a Domain, Subdomain or Alias with the german ß (sharp s), the duplicates-check in Plesk returns "...domain xxx already exists", if there is already a corresponding domain name with 'ss' and vice versa.

Example:
Having a domain "strasse.de", it is not possible to create a 2nd domain "straße.de"
as (according to ICANN IDNA2003) the 'ß' was converted to 'ss' by browsers.

Since about 1 year ago, its possible to register 'ß'-domains, which must not be converted to 'ss' (according to IDNA2008)

In fact, most browsers have the old translating-style implemented, thus it should be able to create those domains in Plesk, parallel to the 'ss'-pendant.

---------------------------------------------------------------
PRODUCT, VERSION, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE
Plesk Panel 10.4.4 MU#6
CentOS 5
Linux 2.6.18-194.26.1.el5xen
PHP 5.3.3-1.el5_6.1 (updated with plesk update)
MySQL 5.0.77-4.el5_6.6 (updated with plesk update)
Apache 2.2.3-53.el5.centos.3

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION AND STEPS TO REPRODUCE
Domains with 'ß' are duplicate-checked to existing 'ss'-domains.

ACTUAL RESULT
Having a domain "strasse.de", it is not possible to create a 2nd domain "straße.de" and vice versa.

EXPECTED RESULT
"strasse.de" and "straße.de" are not the same, so it must be possible to create those domains in Plesk as two different domains.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for report. I have forwarded it to developers from Plesk Service Team. I will update thread with results as soon as I receive them.

Same problem here.

Now we are at version 11.0.9 Update #55 and this problem still exists.
Our customers just become angry.

Please go on an fix it.

As far as I know fix is planned for the one of Plesk 11.5 update.

Hi, this issue brings in very interesting question:

While .de registar allows "straße.de" according to IDNA 2008, none of modern browsers supports IDNA 2008 fully in regards of "ß". They all follow "transitional mode" and keep interpreting "ß" as "ss" - Apple Safari, Mozilla Firefox, MS Internet Explorer and Opera Next (v17+). Their teams have no intention to change it any soon. The only exclusion was an older version of original Opera 12.15 (before Opera switched its engine to WebKit).

That said, once Plesk starts following IDNA 2008 and interprets "straße.de" as a different domain, ALL Internet visitors would never be able to get "straße.de" opened EXCEPT they type explicitly "xn--....de" string. They will always go to "strasse.de" instead.

Would this really be an outcome you are looking for?
Would it be acceptable for your customers to have a site their visitors would never be able to reach to?
Or what I am missing here?

Hi, this issue brings in very interesting question:

While .de registar allows "straße.de" according to IDNA 2008, none of modern browsers supports IDNA 2008 fully in regards of "ß". They all follow "transitional mode" and keep interpreting "ß" as "ss" - Apple Safari, Mozilla Firefox, MS Internet Explorer and Opera Next (v17+). Their teams have no intention to change it any soon. The only exclusion was an older version of original Opera 12.15 (before Opera switched its engine to WebKit).

That said, once Plesk starts following IDNA 2008 and interprets "straße.de" as a different domain, ALL Internet visitors would never be able to get "straße.de" opened EXCEPT they type explicitly "xn--....de" string. They will always go to "strasse.de" instead - not because of Plesk, because of their browser.

Would this really be an outcome you are looking for?
Would it be acceptable for your customers to have a site their visitors would never be able to reach to?
Or what I am missing here?

Back