• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question [17.5.3] Plesk default backup location on a remote FTP server

burnley

Regular Pleskian
Plesk Onyx 17.5.3 Update #23 on Windows 2012 R2
After reading up on the backup/restore business in the Onyx admin guide I couldn't figure out if I can use a remote FTP server as the default/preferred backup location where all newly configured backup jobs will be created. Use case:
- I have the FTP server configured to accept FTP connections and I want Plesk to use that server for backup/restore.
- In Plesk I go to Tools & Settings -> Backup Manager and configure FTP Storage Settings. Then I go somewhere else (where?) and select the FTP server as the default backup location.
- From now on, any client is able to go to Backup Manager and create scheduled backup jobs, except that: instead of storing the backup in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Plesk\Backup\", the backups will be stored on the remote ftp server transparent to the customer. The customer shouldn't even need to know anything at all about the ftp server settings, for everyone bar admin it's just a backup location. Local disk, remote, doesn't matter. IMPORTANT: the clients should still be able to set up a separate ftp server location if they want to.
I don't want to use Samba shares for this, or additional volumes etc, I'm trying to achieve this using ftp only. Is this possible?
Thanks.

IMPORTANT: the clients should still be able to set up a separate ftp server location if they want to.
Yes, client always has this possibility. But if this personal ftp repository is not specified by the client, his backup will be stored on Server storage by default. FTP repository which is specified by Plesk admin in Tools&Settings->Backup Manager is available only for admin and for server backups, but not transparently for client's backups.

Thanks Igor, so no FTP for backup location location. That's fine, I've found another solution using local storage.

Back