• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

2 domains 1 webspace?

D

dean_dodd

I need to give 2 domains access to the same webspace how can I do this with plesk?

so www.domain1.com and www.domain2.com both return /home/domain/html

I am concerned about using frames as they are not search engine friendly from what I know?

How can I do this?

If I were to edit the apache config file manually and create a second virtual host for the second domain would it get removed it I used plesk to make any changes? is this the best/only way?

Thanks

Why do you need both domains to access the same webspace?

Have you thought about creating symlinks?

I have 2 domains a .co.uk and a .com that need to show the same site.

Could you explain a little more on using symlinks to do this?

thanks

Easiest method for you would be to set up physical hosting for one and redirect hosting for the other. This way, you'd automatically get all visitors to the same site, allowing you to operate with ease.

Other options would be for you to explore the vhost.conf alternative, allowing you to more adequately set up the site to operate with the same domains.

Either way, you'll need to understand the pros and cons of each method. Utilizing two domains for one site can become a problem if you start having e-mail on the different domains. An easy fix for that would be to search the forums for the "Alias" script, which will handle the vhost.conf as well as the mailbox alias settings. However, this too has flaws in that it doesn't manage the domain for you.

Pros/Cons.. Oh joy..

Pros/Cons of "Redirect" option:

Pros:
  1. Redirects to site you specify
  2. Gives ability to have separated e-mail (.co.uk and .com email differs)
    [/list=1]
    Cons:
    1. Takes another space in your available domains (if you're limited)
    2. Separate's e-mail, making it harder to manage things if you have a lot of e-mail addresses[/list=1]

Pros/Cons of "vhost.conf" or the "Alias" option:

Pros:
      1. Allows you to use one domain for everything, even though other domains can be used, they'll switch to the primary domain.
      2. Reduces confusion, as everything is set to a primary domain, everything else merely shows it.
        [/list=1]
        Cons:
        1. Doesn't handle the domain (DNS)
        2. Could (under update circumstances) loose data in mail configuration (mail alias) resulting in mail at .co.uk not showing up on .com, but getting bounced. You would have to keep an eye on this.
          [/list=1]

Anyway, that's just my two pennies, hope it helps you out some.

I'd love to use the redirect option but I need the URL to have the domain which was accessed, so if they come in on www.domain.com then the url is www.domain.com/index.php and if its www.domain.co.uk then its www.domain.co.uk/index.php.

I'll look into the vhost.conf and alais options some more thanks for suggesting those. From searching around it seems this is a problem many people have had is it something SWsoft are going to build into a future release?

Thanks

Alias

I have the same problem. I have five domains that need to all point to the same website and I don't want to use five domain spaces in plesk.

How would I do it using the conf file?

Back