1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

2 hour delay on messages

Discussion in 'Plesk 10.x for Linux Issues, Fixes, How-To' started by dtbaker, Feb 28, 2011.

1. dtbaker

dtbaker Basic Pleskian

57%
    I have a few clients complaining that they have a two hour delay on emails sent to them.

They can re-produce this by sending themselves an email with a 1MB+ attachment. I believe it also occurs (sometimes) with plain text emails and no attachments.

Initially I thought the problem was their computer (virus checker or something), but the emails do not come through in webmail or on their iphone. And now other clients are complaining about delays.

Here are headers from one of the delayed emails:

as you can see, ourserver receives the email at 15:52, but it was sent at 13:48 (two hours and four minutes earlier)

another header from delayed email (this one is an email the client sent to himself at 9:14am, arrived 3 hours and 15 mins later):

I thought the issue may be some sort of timeout?

Any ideas or log files I can look for errors?

When I sent a large email to the customer, I see the email file appear in /var/qmail/mailnames/domain.com/info/Maildir/new/ almost instantly and he receives it in his imap inbox shortly after that.
    Sending email with large attachments via webmail to himself works fine.

Thanks heaps,
    David

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  2. dtbaker

dtbaker Basic Pleskian

57%
    Is there an extra service or something that should be running on the box? Maybe something that is firewalled? Maybe the other mail relay can't communicate properly with my server and keeps trying until a timeout occurs and they send the mail anyway?

3. IgorG

IgorG Forums Analyst Staff Member

24%
    Did you try the first steps for the resolving any problem with mail?

1. Analyse of main Plesk maillog /usr/local/psa/var/log/maillog
    2. Rebuilding mailsettings with