• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Forwarded to devs 3rd time: upgrading extension to paid version > disables auto updates and mail management

TomBoB

Regular Pleskian
User name: TomBoB

TITLE

3rd time: upgrading extension to paid version > disables auto updates and mail management

PRODUCT, VERSION, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE

CentOS Linux 7.7.1908 (Core)‬
Product Plesk Obsidian
Version 18.0.23 Update #3

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION

Had evaluated the email security extension. Free version.
Upgraded to paid version.
As soon as we did that, two things happened:
1) the automatic updates were turned off (as seen on the plesk admins home dashboard)
2) the mail management was turned off. Noticeable in the missing mail tab in subscriptions and the unticked box under mail server settings.

Ironically (and not so funnily) exactly the same happened a while back when we upgraded ImunifyAV to paid version.

And before that exactly the same happened when we evaluated the Acronis Backup extension.

Although I initially thought it to be an extension problem, it now certainly looks like a plesk bug.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE

load free email security extension. Upgrade to paid version.

ACTUAL RESULT

mail management disabled, automatic updates disabled.

EXPECTED RESULT

mail management stays enabled, automatic updates stay enabled.

ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

did this on a second server with similar setup soon after with same end result.
Both servers are virtual cloud servers from the same provider.

YOUR EXPECTATIONS FROM PLESK SERVICE TEAM

Confirm bug

EDIT: wondered about Plesk not turning back to German this time. Well it did. Just had to log out, log back in, Plesk is back to German. So exactly same symptoms on three occasions.

Last edited:
I've done a bit more testing on one of our servers. I get above issues simply by hitting "retrieve keys" under tools & settings, Plesk, license management.

Tested it on a third server running Web Pro instead Web Host, with same result.

Last edited:
2) the mail management was turned off. Noticeable in the missing mail tab in subscriptions and the unticked box under mail server settings.
This is expected behaviour. Once Email Security is installed, the internal spam rules are disabled (added by Plesk's SpamAssassin component), and thus also the UI within Plesk is removed. All spam settings must be managed through Email Security.

This is expected behaviour. Once Email Security is installed, the internal spam rules are disabled (added by Plesk's SpamAssassin component), and thus also the UI within Plesk is removed. All spam settings must be managed through Email Security.

Hi Igor, I think there is a misunderstanding. What I meant is the following: under tools and settings, Mail, mail server settings, "Enable mail management functions in Plesk" becomes unticked. Which has the effect that for all and any clients the Mail tab disappears, hence they have no more access to all the mail functions.

Your license key seems to have a non-default product configuration (this is not a bug but a feature of Partner Central).

I'd suggest you read this KB article and update the settings accordingly: Some buttons are absent in Plesk or interface is changed

These changes are written in the customizations.conf file (usually placed here /usr/local/psa/admin/conf/customizations.conf).

Back