• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue 504 error after latest update on 4th August 2019

Azar

New Pleskian
Dear Members,
My website is showing 504 error after Plesk automatically updated on 4th of august 2019, I hired 3 server administrators to resolve the issue and the conclusions was that issue in Plesk itself.

I'm using Plesk web admin edition and to confirm the issue with Plesk I have installed it on another server then migrated the website to the new server using the migration manager, new server has web host edition and everything worked perfectly.

I decided to format the old server and reinstall Plesk again as the license provided for me for free by Hetzner , then migrated again from the new server to old server, but guess what? 504 error is showing again !!!

If Plesk decided to remove some features from the Web Admin edition then it is not fair to provide update that crush websites hosted on servers with non supported editions, my website was ranking #1 & 2 in google SERP for some keywords and now after one week it is not showing at all.

Please give me step by step procedures to resolve this issue, and I think if it is proved being Plesk issue I deserve a compensation for losing my website visitors and website reputation.

~ after Plesk automatically updated on 4th of august 2019 ~
Plesk automatic updates, is a policy decision that YOU (and/or your server administrators) make yourself.

It's not-mandatory to include every update and updating is not an item that has a 'no choice' format either.

It's very clear to see the options here: /Tools & Settings / System Updates / Settings (screengrab image)

So, if you do run with the automatic updates option selected, then presumably, you'll also have a full pre-update backup and/or a server snapshot, which you could have and/or still can, therefore easily recover back too? ;)

From the information that you've posted so far, it doesn't actually seem like a Plesk issue at all, to be fair.

AutoUpdates.png

Plesk automatic updates, is a policy decision that YOU (and/or your server administrators) make yourself.

It's not-mandatory to include every update and updating is not an item that has a 'no choice' format either.

It's very clear to see the options here: /Tools & Settings / System Updates / Settings (screengrab image)

So, if you do run with the automatic updates option selected, then presumably, you'll also have a full pre-update backup and/or a server snapshot, which you could have and/or still can, therefore easily recover back too? ;)

From the information that you've posted so far, it doesn't actually seem like a Plesk issue at all, to be fair.

View attachment 15763

Thank you for your post.
The issue is not the automatic update as I'm aware that I can manage that, my issue the update should provide improvements and not to crush my Web server.

Moreover I need to know how to resolve it, should I change my license to Web host edition or there is a certain fix I have to do?

....my issue the update should provide improvements and not to crush my Web server
To the best of our knowledge (as a fellow user) Plesk don't provide anything that will crush anything else o_O

Before or after upgrades, Plesk may well have some no longer supported and/or not supported and/or incompatibility issues (as with any software) but the most important part of the previous post, you haven't answered... yet i.e. How exactly did you carry out the Plesk upgrades that you mentioned?

Automatic upgrades, chosen by you, has already been dealt with above, but even if you carry out all your Plesk updates manually (as many users do) then you must surely have a full pre-update backup and/or a server snapshots too? Either way, automatic or manual, a simple, straightforward recovery postion via backups / snapshots is right there.

Unless.... you have not taken any pre-update backups and/or server snapshots at all? That's the next question.

Dear I have a backup and that's why my website is running now on another server with Plesk Web Host edition, the old server with Web admin edition still showing 504 error even after reinstalling Plesk, can we forgot about the update and focus on the real issue of 504 error on Web admin edition, the php-fpm service is not running on the Web admin edition.

Did Hetzner provide support to you? I'm asking because you've said that your Plesk license is provided by them, so they should provide support too. The three administrators you've mentioned were theirs?

After they weren't able to help you, did they instruct you to contact Plesk directly? Perhaps at this time, that would be the best course of action. Here is an article about how to do that.

But if you wish, the community here will try to help too. Bare in mind that it will take time to exchange information over a public forum and that none of us can help as efficiently as someone who can access the server.

So, if I understand correctly, you have already established that the Apache server is running but php-fpm service isn't? It refuses to start?

Can you provide any error logs?

Please also state your OS, OS version, Plesk version and any other technical information that could help resolving this...

Dear I have a backup and that's why my website is running now on another server with Plesk Web Host edition, the old server with Web admin edition still showing 504 error even after reinstalling Plesk, can we forgot about the update and focus on the real issue of 504 error on Web admin edition, the php-fpm service is not running on the Web admin edition.
^^^ That's a slightly different sequence of events from those that you described in your first post... in which you only referred to migrations, reformats and re-installs.

You've not mentioned anywhere (so far) your restoration of a full, pre-upgrade backup and/or snapshot directly to the original server location... which would then not have required any Plesk migration, or associated reformatting or re-installing. It would have simply taken you back to the non-504 status, pre-upgrade Plesk environment that you had on your original server.

You've also posted that you're running two different Plesk editions, but that you didn't check in advance with Plesk, that it's actually possible to seemlessly migrate between these. So, it does still seems that the issue you've described (but only based on the actual details in the posts made so far to be fair) isn't really a Plesk issue at all.

Depends on your own specific Plesk licencing setup(s) of course, but perhaps the easiest way for you to resolve your issue, might be, to raise a ticket here: Plesk Help Center in which, you could accurately describe, exactly everything that you have done so far and all the reasons why, therefore requesting assistance to resolve your issue. Plesk support are very, very good at resolving any Plesk related problems, even if users' actions might have been a contributory factor to the issue(s) being raised...

I don't see why a 504 error could not be solved. Maybe @Azar can provide more details on it, e.g. the log excerpts where the error is shown and - if it has to do with PHP FPM - the exact errors that are logged to the PHP FPM logs on the start attempt of the service.

Back