• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

7.0.x to 7.5.x upgrade notes

I

inCharge.co.uk

I upgraded from 7.0.2 to 7.5.1 over the weekend here are some things that I found out. There is probably plenty more in other threads but this is my list…

The 7.0.x to 7.5.x upgrade does a backup + delete + uninstall + install + restore. All your websites are completely deleted then recreated during the upgrade. So if you have made changes outside Plesk, don't be surprised if they don't migrate.

If you have paying customers and you want to keep them then I strongly recommend creating a test server and testing all upgrades. As you see from the list below, some of the failures are pretty obscure and every setup is unique, so test the upgrade using a complete backup from your live server. E.g. Restore to 7.0.2 failed with "File name length mismatch" if any site contains any file with an extended character in the filename e.g. copyright symbol. So what new problems are there for us to discover?

Testing is easier with a virtual machine e.g. Microsoft Virtual Server because you can copy an entire disk at milestones and return to them if you screw up, instead of starting again from the beginning.

This upgrade was done using Remote Desktop. No local intervention was necessary.

Before upgrading, stop any services that might lock a file under INetPub. E.g. I use ServWatch and this keeps an mdb file open and therefore locked. Maybe disabling anti-virus software during the upgrade is a good idea.

During my upgrade, the uninstall part failed with "Error 1603 at uninstall Plesk 7.0.2. Fatal error during the installation". This didn’t happen in test. This was on my live server after the websites were deleted. This shows how important it is to make a backup immediately before the upgrade.

Then Plesk 7.0.2 failed to uninstall with "Error 1713 Plesk 7.0 for Windows cannot uninstall one of its products". Eventually I asked Sw-soft Support to do the upgrade for me, which they did, immediately, so thankyou very much for that. They said after that using the installer's 'Repair' and 'Modify' options could have helped.

During the 7.5 upgrade the installer attempts to upgrade the key. This failed because a reseller's key was installed. The upgrade continued and websites worked after the installation, but the reseller's key needed to be installed before the control panel could be used.

You can upgrade direct from Plesk 6.5.x and 7.0.x to 7.5.x. Restore from a Plesk 7.0.x backup to a 7.5.x installation is also supported, but may lose some things as they were not backed up in the first place by 7.0.x. These include:
- File permissions (changed using windows explorer)
- Virtual folders (Set up using IIS MMC snap-in)
- Error pages (If changed from the default using IIS MMC Snap-in)

7.5.x handles these correctly, so a direct upgrade from 7.0.x to 7.5.x will preserve them.

Some things that 7.5.x upgrade lost/changed are:
- Webstat folder changed to plesk-stat/webstat (like Reloaded )
- Mailenable 'Local Domain' setting is reset
- psacln group folder permissions lost. If you grant read access for the psacln group on a folder in domain1 then create virtual folder on domain2 that point to domain1 then domains can share files.
- Non-standard domain's home directory lost. Pointing domain2.com's home folder at domian1.com/httpdocs was a way to create aliases - but it's reset to domian2.com/httpdocs during the upgrade. 7.5.x supports aliases through the control panel now anyway.
- If you installed a MailEnable Hotfix then the upgrade loses it and installs the vulnerable version.

The upgrade uses backup & restore, so if something fails to upgrade then it will also probably fail to restore. Remember this for your disaster recovery strategy. Have you ever tried to restore one of your Plesk backups?

Cheers
Julian

I currently have plesk 6.5 for Windows.. I want to upgrade to 7 or 7.5 when it is available.. What do you recommend..

I appreciate your response.. This is on a remote server and someone else would be doing the upgrade.. what precautions should I take to recover if they screw up the upgrade.. Is mail enable pro supported on 7.5? Anti-virus integration?

thanks!

Ok if i want to upgrade from 7.0.3 to 7.5.x will it be free for me ?Or do i need extra fee for it?

anothe question what is the version of MailEnable is used in 7.5 ? same version as 7.0.x?

>>what precautions should I take?
Every time you log into your server you might find that the contents have gone for good due to hackers, viruses, hardware faults, fire, bailifs, thieves etc. Upgrading is just another risk. Make sure that you can rebuild a new server from the beginning.

Weekends are a good time for prayer, upgrades and drinks...in that order.

>> Is mail enable pro supported on 7.5?
I don't know. Suggest you see other threads or start a new one.

>> Anti-virus integration? (& what else is in 7.5.1)
See release notes: ftp://download1.sw-soft.com/Plesk/Plesk7.5/Windows/7.5.1/plesk_7.5.1_build050318.13.txt

>> if i want to upgrade from 7.0.3 to 7.5.x will it be free for me?
I think so. It was free for me, but I lease from a reseller. I guess the license is upgraded on-line to catch pirated software & for market research type reasons.

>> what is the version of MailEnable is used in 7.5 ? same version as 7.0.x?
MEDIAG.EXE shows v1.8, which is the latest (MailEnable Management reports Version: 1.07 and DLLs that have a version resource show 1.0.0.0 or 1.0.0.1)

In my runs on our test server I've found that it is best to uninstall MailEnable Pro after you back up but before you install the 7.5.1 upgrade, otherwise you run into errors during the upgrade process as the 7.5.1 installer has no idea how to react to ME Pro and cannot uninstall it properly.

Once the upgrade has completed you can reinstall ME Pro with no problems.

Just so that you don't have to email every customer and they don't have to update their bookmarks to get their stats, in every domain add a folder called httpdocs/webstat and create a file in it called index.html containing a redirect e.g.

<html>
<head>
<title>Webstats</title>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh" CONTENT="0; URL=/plesk-stat/webstat">
</head>
<body>
Webstats have moved to <a href="/plesk-stat/webstat">here</a>
</body>
</html>

If you have many domains and they require additional fixes after the upgrade, then I recommend using a one-time fix script to save you time and so that you can get your customers back online quickly. e.g. http://forum.plesk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23552

If you don't have a scripting capability then I can help you out at my standard hourly rate. :)

Cheers
Julian

I am updating my plesk from 7.0.3 to 7.5.1, I am almost finished with the installation procedure but now I have this error: Run-time error: command.../kavupdater.exe"--no-downloads failed with code 1 Output: error -2147467259 at IKUpdater2: Could not initialize.

Any idea whats it???

That was Kaspersky Antivirus. Just skip it and go on. KAV is starting to complain in such a way, when something (not itself!) is stopping his autoupdater. That`s all.

What about smartermail? I mean did you get any problems for migrating MailEnable to Smater mail? Or does not it comes free with your upgrade?

Back