• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

7.5.x Horde Error, Help?

F

fusionhosting

I'm currently getting the following error on the main login home page for users Horde Mail:

Notice: (null)(): [ALERT] Fatal error: TOO MANY CONSECUTIVE PROTOCOL VIOLATIONS: in Unknown on line 0

I believe that's the spot that normally shows how many new email messages are in the mailbox.

I haven't been able to figure out why this started occuring, if it was due to one of the more recent Plesk patches, or a RedHat patch to PHP, or what?

Anyone have any ideas?

We've just started getting this error as well, on some accounts. No recent updates have been performed. We're using Plesk 7.5.1.

I've seen the post answers about filters carried over from previous versions of horde. However, we only started this domain and this account after moving to 7.5.1 and this user only started to add filters to the account today. No previous filters.

The user did the following: under options, filter, the only one the user left checked is "Apply filter rules upon logging on"... unchecked "Apply filter rules when mailbox is refreshed" and "Display message when filter have been applied"

The error message no longer occurs.

TOO MANY CONSECUTIVE PROTOCOL VIOLATIONS

This error is created by the IMAP server. It basically means Horde is not sending the username/password information properly (its not following the proper method of logging into an IMAP server), and it rejects it after xx bad attempts. I'm not sure if this is a Horde problem, or if your IMAP server is not working right now.

Does IMAP work (send/receive) for you if you set it up in Outlook or whatever? I'd test it; it could be IMAP itself that is now broken. There are lots of threads on the 1st or 2nd page here that document problems with 7.5 & IMAP.

Also see here for a hotfix to 7.5.2.

that's probably the issue with IMAP then, because I did figure out the bug with filters a few days later after hunting it down on the web and users groups.

iascadmin's post is the temporary workaround, same as I'm using now.

As we said, as soon as that user went down to one filter, the problem stopped. At the same time that user was having problems, I was able to log in, via horde and outlook, (set up as an IMAP account), to various accounts that I have on the server. We are set up in Plesk with one customer having four domains with between 7 and 35 users per domain, all set up as IMAP accounts in Outlook. Only that one user has reported any problems, and only when the user checked all lthree filters

In searching these forums, it seems that there are solutions relating to filter causes for this problem, but nothing definitive on possible IMAP server problems for this issue.

Also see...

http://forum.plesk.com/showthread.p...ght=TOO+MANY+CONSECUTIVE+PROTOCOL+VIOLATIONS.

fusionhosting - a question - what bug for horde filtering did you track down, and what is the fix?

I did the following:

1) recreated the horde error in several email accounts, both upon login and upon returning to the horde main menu from the MAIL component of horde.

2) determined that the error is only generated when the 2nd mail filter option is selected [Apply filter rules when mailbox is refreshed?], either by itself or in combination with either of the other two filter options

3) in an email account that had no filters [and no new email], selected both of the first two filter options - no error was generated when going to the horde home nor when loggin into that account

4) in an email account that had ~200 filter rules, deleted all but one - the remaining rule checks for [SPAM] in the subject line and moves any such messages into the Junk folder - our spamAssassin is set to mark junkMail with [SPAM]

5) determined that with only one filter rule - as detailed in 4 - and with the first two filter options checked, the error is not generated on login or on moving to the horde home, without new email present

6) determined that all conditions in 5 but with new email present that triggers the spam rule, that the error is NOT generated on login nor on moving to the horde home - however the filter wasn't automatically applied either. When I applied the filter manually, it worked

7) adding one blacklist filter rule at a time, and so far, no error, but no automatic applicaiton of the rules either

Back