• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

8.6 -> 9.2.1 Upgrade failed - Plesk Control panel will NOT LOAD!

G

Groo

Hi,

First some background:

Yesterday I upgraded (via Yum) the client RPMs for PHP to 5.2.12. After the upgrade, we were under Plesk 8.6 and everything was working (Control Panel/Sites/etc.). Now, after going to 9.2.1, I keep getting this error in sw-cp-server/error_log:

Cannot find config item ["global/SERVERsocket==:8443", ".php", 0]
2010-01-25 14:24:47: (mod_fastcgi.c.1000) the fastcgi-backend /usr/bin/sw-engine-cgi -c /usr/local/psa/admin/conf/php.ini -d auto_prepend_file=auth.php3 -u psaadm failed to start:
2010-01-25 14:24:47: (mod_fastcgi.c.1004) child exited with status 1 /usr/bin/sw-engine-cgi -c /usr/local/psa/admin/conf/php.ini -d auto_prepend_file=auth.php3 -u psaadm
2010-01-25 14:24:47: (mod_fastcgi.c.1007) if you try do run PHP as FastCGI backend make sure you use the FastCGI enabled version.
You can find out if it is the right one by executing 'php -v' and it should display '(cgi-fcgi)' in the output, NOT (cgi) NOR (cli)
For more information check http://www.lighttpd.net/documentation/fastcgi.html#preparing-php-as-a-fastcgi-program
2010-01-25 14:24:47: (mod_fastcgi.c.1012) If this is PHP on Gentoo add fastcgi to the USE flags
2010-01-25 14:24:47: (mod_fastcgi.c.1105) [ERROR]: spawning fcgi failed.
2010-01-25 14:24:47: (mod_fastcgi.c.3505) all handlers for /index.php on .php are down.

If I run /usr/bin/sw-engine-cgi -c /usr/local/psa/admin/conf/php.ini -d auto_prepend_file=auth.php3 -u psaadm I get:

PHP Notice: Undefined index: REQUEST_URI in /usr/local/psa/admin/auto_prepend/auth.php3 on line 30
Expires: Fri, 28 May 1999 00:00:00 GMT
Last-Modified: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 19:32:55 GMT
Cache-Control: no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate
Cache-Control: post-check=0, pre-check=0
Pragma: no-cache
P3P: CP="NON COR CURa ADMa OUR NOR UNI COM NAV STA"
Content-type: text/html

<html><head><title></title>
<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript" src="/javascript/common.js?plesk_version=psa-9.2.1-92090422.13"/></script>
<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript" src="/javascript/prototype.js?plesk_version=psa-9.2.1-92090422.13"></script>
<script>
var opt_no_frames = false;
var opt_integrated_mode = false;
</script>

</head><body onLoad=";top.location='/login.php3';"></body></html>[/b]

Is that REQUEST_URI line hinting at something important being broken?

Looking in /etc/sw-cp-server/applications.d/plesk.conf I figured that the line:
"socket" => "/usr/local/psa/tmp/sw-engine.sock",
might have something to do with it, since sw-engine.sock did not exist - but sw-engine.sock-0 did -- I tried making that change, doing an /etc/init.d/psa restart and no change. Also did /etc/init.d/sw-cp-server restart

My updating of php had anything to do with the control panel not working now (since it worked in 8.6) - also - Plesk is using /usr/bin/sw-engine & /usr/bin/sw-engine-cgi for control panel functions anyways.

I'm at wit's end with how to fix it.... I could live with the admin panel being broken for a few days but do to the upgrade automatically suspending sites that exceed disk usage it has suspended one of my main domains and I dont' know how to unsuspend it via command line (is there a way?).

HELP!

Fixed it!

Edit /etc/sw-cp-server/applications.d/plesk.conf

Before:

"max-procs" => 1,
"min-procs" => 0,

After:

"max-procs" => 1,
"min-procs" => 1,

I first was hinted to this in /var/log/sw-cp-server with this message when trying to get the admin panel up:

2010-01-25 13:05:53: (mod_fastcgi.c.1341) Dynamic spawning with max_procs > 1 is not supported; setting min_procs = max_procs

I'm not sure why this would have such an impact, but, regardless, after many hours of tinkering, I finally got it fixed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back