• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

[9.2.2] remote addresses seen as local

R

RaresC

Hello,

We have a Plesk panel 9.2.2 on a CentOs 5.3 that's mainly used for web hosting and DNS. On it we host our corporate website (let's call it www.mydomain.fr) but our email server is on a different server. So basically, the dns configuration of the mydomain.fr domain is:
A --> public ip of the plesk machine
MX -> public ip of the mail server

Mail server functionnality is disabled for the mydomain.fr domain.

This is our problem: certain applications on the plesk machine need to send emails to @mydomain.fr adresses. All these emails are bounced. In the email logs we get these messages:
failure: Sorry._Although_I'm_listed_as_a_best-preference_MX_or_A_for_that_host,/it_isn't_in_my_control/locals_file,_so_I_don't_treat_it_as_local._(#5.4.6)/
and then they're bounced

According to http://kb.odin.com/en/1380, that's perfectly normal, seeing as we're in the second case described in the Causes :
- domain exists but domain.com > Mail > Disable option was chosen in the Plesk interface,

Basically, qmail considers that the email adresses are local, even if the MX clearly points to a different machine.

So how can I tell qmail that all @mydomain.fr adresses are remote ?

I have clients who use google for the hosting of their email ( Google Apps ) and have mx records in the server for the email to be sent offsite. I used to have problems like you are having but i fixed them by

Clicking on Domains
Select Domain Name
Click Mail Settings
There is an option for: Activate mail service on domain
Uncheck that
I don't think it matters but i would ensured that i had no email accounts under that domain.

Back