• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

[9.2.2] remote addresses seen as local

R

RaresC

Hello,

We have a Plesk panel 9.2.2 on a CentOs 5.3 that's mainly used for web hosting and DNS. On it we host our corporate website (let's call it www.mydomain.fr) but our email server is on a different server. So basically, the dns configuration of the mydomain.fr domain is:
A --> public ip of the plesk machine
MX -> public ip of the mail server

Mail server functionnality is disabled for the mydomain.fr domain.

This is our problem: certain applications on the plesk machine need to send emails to @mydomain.fr adresses. All these emails are bounced. In the email logs we get these messages:
failure: Sorry._Although_I'm_listed_as_a_best-preference_MX_or_A_for_that_host,/it_isn't_in_my_control/locals_file,_so_I_don't_treat_it_as_local._(#5.4.6)/
and then they're bounced

According to http://kb.odin.com/en/1380, that's perfectly normal, seeing as we're in the second case described in the Causes :
- domain exists but domain.com > Mail > Disable option was chosen in the Plesk interface,

Basically, qmail considers that the email adresses are local, even if the MX clearly points to a different machine.

So how can I tell qmail that all @mydomain.fr adresses are remote ?

I have clients who use google for the hosting of their email ( Google Apps ) and have mx records in the server for the email to be sent offsite. I used to have problems like you are having but i fixed them by

Clicking on Domains
Select Domain Name
Click Mail Settings
There is an option for: Activate mail service on domain
Uncheck that
I don't think it matters but i would ensured that i had no email accounts under that domain.

Back