• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Ability to create and manage SRV records for a DNS zone

A

awlane

This seems to have been requested way back in PSA 5.0 and PSA 8.0 days.

The issue is that end-users who host with us may be running all kinds of other services on their domain, such as XMPP/Jabber servers, which rely on SRV records (See RFC3920 and 3921) to work properly.

Apparently, even in Plesk 8.2.0 there is no supported method of creating and managing SRV records for Plesk hosted domains. This is disappointing seeing as people have made an effort since PSA 5.0 to have this feature looked at.

I would like to see domainkey support in the dns also. For this to happen we need to be able to create hosts with a leading _ (underscore) which is valid.

e.g. _domainkey.mydomain.com. 86400 IN TXT "t=y\; o=~\; [email protected]"

Standstill ...

Plesk has stopped ! Some many usefull features are out, SRV is just an example.

Regards
Joao Correia

Add SRV record manually?

If it's not currently possible to add an SRV record in Plesk for Linux is there another (manual) way to do it?

Say, using WinSCP?

Thanks

I have manually edited the zone file, but plesk will and does overwrite it when changes are made via the gui. What we are requesting is not a lot of work, as most of the code required to do this is there, it just needs to be "tweaked" to allow these types of records to be created (imho).

How did you edit the zone file to change SRV records?

And does Plesk overwrite it when any changes are made via the GUI or only when DNS changes are made?

Remember BACKUP your files before changing anything.

On my RHEL box, you'll need to ssh into the box and then go to:

/var/named/run-root/var/

and then edit the zone file of the domain of your choice.

If you're running a different distribution, then do a search for the domain and then edit the zone file.

Once you have edited the zone file, you'll then have to restart named from the command line.

If you make changes via the gui to the dns then you will lose the changes that you made via the command line.

Finally,Don't forget to backup the files BEFORE making changes and then make a note of the changes that you made.

Thanks. I will try this tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

This is good news - does this include _domainkeys?

(Edited after the response below)
Doh! I think that this question qualifies for a Richard Cranium award ;) - Simon

Yes, ability to create TXT records with leading '_' in host part will be implemented.

Last I heard it was planned for late December 2007. Possibly will shift into January.

is there any feature list for the upcoming 8.3?
cause all i could find is infos about 8.3 for windows, not for linux...

Remember BACKUP your files before changing anything.

On my RHEL box, you'll need to ssh into the box and then go to:

/var/named/run-root/var/

and then edit the zone file of the domain of your choice.

That's a temporary solution and will disappear once the DNS has been updated (such as adding a sub-domain or changing a record directly.

Has anyone tried added it directory to the database and seeing if the interface is the limiting factor, not the script?

No problem! :)

Now we just need to get the interface updated...!

Back