• Please be aware: Kaspersky Anti-Virus has been deprecated
    With the upgrade to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.64, "Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Servers" will be automatically removed from the servers it is installed on. We recommend that you migrate to Sophos Anti-Virus for Servers.
  • The Horde webmail has been deprecated. Its complete removal is scheduled for April 2025. For details and recommended actions, see the Feature and Deprecation Plan.

Issue Abnormal traffic usage caused by POP3/IMAP

stevepa

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS
Plesk version and microupdate number
18.0.63 Update #4
Dear all,

I've got asubscription for a customer in my plesk environment with "normal" usage of 2 GB.
Traffic was constantly 2-5GB a month, but a few months ago monthly traffic was suddenly 300, 400, 500 GB a month, up to 3 TB.

Nothing changed, costumer is still using his email as before.
All traffic is caused by POP3/IMAP. Outgoing Mail Control is enabled (max. 30 mails an hour).

There are no anomalies in /var/log/maillog and maillog.processed - this is all minimal.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot.

Since mail accounts authentication is performed via POP3/IMAP, this may be the cause of high traffic statistics. However, you would have probably noticed lots of entries in the maillog. Could you please try one of the following scripts and let us know what's the result you see?

maybe a stuck email in the inbox, that the client tries to download over and over again? (I've only seen such things in the past, when using POP3)

Since mail accounts authentication is performed via POP3/IMAP, this may be the cause of high traffic statistics. However, you would have probably noticed lots of entries in the maillog. Could you please try one of the following scripts and let us know what's the result you see?
POP3/IMAP stats for info@********.net

Bytes:
SENT=340539725191
RCVD=8086097

KiloBytes:
SENT=332558325.38
RCVD=7896.58

MegaBytes:
SENT=324763.99
RCVD=7.71

GigaBytes:
SENT=317.15