• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

about migration from linux server to windows server

R

Russell Yuan

Hi,

our company now hosting a linux box with Plesk recently upgrade to9.0

We now setup windows 2003 server for our new hosting server and plan to migrate all the hosting to our new Windows 2003 server.

after install Plesk 9.0 on windows platform, is it possible to restore from the linux plesk backup file directly?

If not, when run migration manager on windows server, all the web sites and mail services will keep going on all the time? How long will it take if I got 10G(only 4G backup data file) data over internet?

I searched the KB, only got this http://kb.odin.com/en/2112

Is there any other articles for reference?

Thanks for your time and I appreciate for any suggestion.

You cant use the plesk backup to migrate from linux to windows. The best way to go about the job is to start creating
the domains one by one in your new control panel and then copy the files in httpdocs folder from the old server to the new one.

Depending on the scripting language used on your websites you may have to make changes in code as well as
permissions for files/directories.

Also it will not be possible to migrate mail as windows and linux use different mailservers. Linux use qmail and windows
use mailenable mailserver by default. MIgration of mails is not an option. You will have to ask users to download mails from old server using any email client and later go about recreating the email accounts on the new server control panel.

thanks a lot

yes, it's exactly what I am doing now.

copy web files to new server and recreat the mail accounts there.

big job .......

suffering""£$%$%

I can confirm that I have now successfully migrated website, database, domain settings, emails etc from a LINUX server running Plesk 8.1 to a Windows box running 9.2.1. Worked like a charm.

Very very impressed...

Only snag I had was allowing SSH connection between the two servers on the firewall.

Not sure if anyone will see this - but if the previou poster could possibly describe anything they remember on the Linux to Windows migration.

I'm trying to go from Linux 8.6 to Windows 9.3 and hitting all sorts of walls.

Thanks.

Back