• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Accidentally delete /etc/asl/ directory

Jo.H

New Pleskian
Hi,

I accidentally delete /etc/asl/ directory on my debian 8 server. Tried to reinstall the mod_security component but it doesn't work.

Thx

Sorry guys i forgot to ask a question....

How can i generate a new directory as it was? If not what can i do?

Thx

Try to fix it with

# apt-get install aum

Hi,
Thx Igor for your reply.... but it didn't work. It helped me to find a way! It was messy... This is what i did

1.Uninstall the plesk 12.5 addon

2. Uninstall and purge
#sudo apt-get remove --purge aum

3.Install aum
#sudo apt-get update
#sudo apt-get install aum

4.Configure it
#/var/asl/lib/modules/configuration_setup.sh (don't know if it's necessary) ##(only rules)
#/var/asl/bin/aum -uf

5. Reinstall Plesk 12.5 Modsecurity addon

Now i just have this issue like it was in August with the KB129494. Every hour i receive this mail :

#run-parts: /etc/cron.hourly/asl exited with return code 126

I made the changes in the /etc/asl/config
APACHE_RESTART_COMMAND="/etc/init.d/apache2 restart"

But let
REPUTATION_REPORT="yes" (the normal behavior)

aum is the 4.0.19-40 but the version detected in /etc/asl/VERSION is
ASL_VERSION=4.0.19-37

How can i find a normal behavior of modsecurity??
In the /etc/asl/config file do i have to enter specific user and password??

Thx

Hi Jo.H,

How can i find a normal behavior of modsecurity??

I suggest the following way:
  1. apt-get remove --purge aum
  2. /usr/local/psa/admin/bin/autoinstaller --select-product-id plesk --select-release-current --remove-component modsecurity
  3. rmdir /etc/asl ( might not be necessary... just to be sure, that all is deleted! If you experience issues here, consider to remove possible existent content INSIDE that folder and retry the command! )
  4. /usr/local/psa/admin/bin/autoinstaller --select-product-id plesk --select-release-current --install-component modsecurity
  5. Plesk Control Panel: Go to => Home > Tools & Settings > Web Application Firewall ( Pls. see the additional screenshot for further explanations! )
  6. apt-get update
  7. apt-get upgrade ( or, if you only would like to upgrade ModSecurity, then pls. use: apt-get install --only-upgrade aum )
Additional informations, as screenshot ( see 5. above ):

Plesk-Onyx_aum_001.png

Pls. report possible issues, when you follow my suggestion and pls. don't forget to list your steps before the issues appear.:)

Hi,

Thx UFHH01 for your answer. :) It seems that is no mail from cron for 1 hour.

So i tried your solution. This is what happenned !

• apt-get remove --purge aum
  • /usr/local/psa/admin/bin/autoinstaller --select-product-id plesk --select-release-current --remove-component modsecurity
  • rmdir /etc/asl ( might not be necessary... just to be sure, that all is deleted! If you experience issues here, consider to remove possible existent content INSIDE that folder and retry the command! )

Steps 1 to 3 everything ok. Except that --purge didn't delete /etc/asl/ and /var/asl/ so i made it manually:

# rm -RIf /etc/asl /var/asl #I backed them up before

Everything seems clean except in /etc/apache2/conf_enabled/00_modsecurity.conf . This file risks to blow things up when apache restarts ! (i know... :eek::eek:). Remove it or comment every line in it to keep temporarily the paths inside (the file should be regenerated after).

• /usr/local/psa/admin/bin/autoinstaller --select-product-id plesk --select-release-current --install-component modsecurity
  • Plesk Control Panel: Go to => Home > Tools & Settings > Web Application Firewall ( Pls. see the additional screenshot for further explanations! )

Steps 4 & 5 : Installation succeded, start the module in Detection only mode for Atomic basic Modsecurity OK . But with no /etc/asl and no /var/asl directories
Weird!!

apt-get install --only-upgrade aum

It told that it can't update it's not installed.
---> Plesk autoinstaller should install aum ! No?

I stopped ModSecurity with Plesk Control Panel: in Home > Tools & Settings > Web Application Firewall --> off

• I installed aum manually:
# apt-get update
# apt-get install aum
#Version aum 4.0.19-40

• Configuration process
#/var/asl/bin/aum -uf

The first time you have to give a USER and a PASSWORD (specific it seems -> available in this file posted on Plesk forum) and choose rules only, update daily.

• Modify /etc/asl/config
# nano /etc/asl/config
To modify only:
APACHE_RESTART_COMMAND="/etc/init.d/httpd restart" ----> APACHE_RESTART_COMMAND="/etc/init.d/apache2 restart"

• Configuration process again
#/var/asl/bin/aum -uf

• Start ModSecurity
I started ModSecurity with Plesk Control Panel: in Home > Tools & Settings > Web Application Firewall --> Detection Only #To test before production

Everything looks good. I'm waiting for the next backup and log rotation to be sure !:cool:

Thx guys!! :)

Hi Jo.H,

But with no /etc/asl and no /var/asl directories
Weird!!
hm... yes... this should not happen. If you would like to investigate this issue, pls. consider to see the depending log - files ( psa ):

... but you still continued with the correct solution and there shouldn't be any problem now. ;) If, for what ever reason, you experience issues now, pls. don't hesite to post some depending - log - files for further investigations.

Back