• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Uninstall Plesk - Debian 12

Daveo

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
Debian 12.4
Plesk version and microupdate number
18.0.57 #5
My friend has a server that he no longer wishes to run Plesk on but he also doesn't want to reinstall the server.

Can I follow this article to uninstall Plesk or is there a way to disable Plesk ? (He hasn't renewed his Plesk licence, so Plesk can be logged into but goes straight to licence page).

The article does mean a bug with uninstalling Plesk on Ubuntu/Debian systems (bug PI-498) and I'm unable to locate the bug report to see if it's been resolved.

I would say it would be far safer to just move to a new server as Plesk integrates with nearly everything on a server.

The uninstall issue has not yet been resolved. Plesk integrates deeply with system services. Like @Dave W I'd also recommend to spin-up a new server and retire the old one.

The reason he didn't want to reinstall the server is because it has his Plex Media Server on there (with a lot of media files in the Plex libraries).

Boot to a second OS, mount the drive and remove everything apart from the media files, then install an OS taking care not to blow the media folders?
Backup of course beforehand.

This would work if I had local access to his server, as I'm more 'skilled' at this than he is, but the problem is... he lives in the US and I live in the UK.

I only have remote access to the server via SSH.

Might just have to leave things as they are for now, until a reinstall becomes needed (ie: system issue, etc).

Is there no way to just disable Plesk, as there's no sites on the server ?

Back