• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Issue Acronis casuing server crash after a few hours

nickcarswell

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian 18.0.60 Update #1
When installing Acronis onto a new server with Plesk installed I am running into an issue where Acronis backup leads to the eventual crashing of the server.

Usually after a few hours (Between 4 and 8 typically)

May 1 15:59:02 1F41B72 systemd[1]: Started Active Protection daemon.
May 1 15:59:02 1F41B72 active-protection.sh[66588]: ++ dirname /usr/lib/Acronis/APL/active-protection.sh
May 1 15:59:02 1F41B72 active-protection.sh[66587]: + DIRNAME=/usr/lib/Acronis/APL
May 1 15:59:02 1F41B72 active-protection.sh[66589]: ++ basename /usr/lib/Acronis/APL/active-protection.sh .sh
May 1 15:59:02 1F41B72 active-protection.sh[66587]: + BASENAME=active-protection
May 1 15:59:02 1F41B72 active-protection.sh[66587]: + CONFFILE=/etc/Acronis/APL/active-protection.conf
May 1 15:59:02 1F41B72 active-protection.sh[66587]: + exec /usr/lib/Acronis/APL/active-protection --conf_file=/etc/Acronis/APL/active-protection.conf
May 1 15:59:05 1F41B72 systemd[1]: Started Acronis Update Controller.
May 1 15:59:05 1F41B72 acp-update-controller[66688]: /usr/bin/lsb_release
May 1 15:59:05 1F41B72 acp-update-controller[66689]: No LSB modules are available.
May 1 15:59:05 1F41B72 active-protection.sh[66754]: error: cannot open Packages database in /nonexistent/.rpmdb
May 1 15:59:05 1F41B72 active-protection.sh[66762]: error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/Acronis/.rpmdb

Can provide full log if that helps but I assume this is the possible cause?

I have recreated this issue on both a MS Azure VM and a Fasthosts dedicated server. All parties, Microsoft, Fasthosts, Plesk and Acronis have not been able to provide any useful help after many weeks so i've just uninstalled and used an alternative solution but thought i'd throw it open to the user base to understand how this can be resolved.

The log above is from a Fasthosts server. Fasthosts are part of united internet who also own Ionos. I think the server environment is unlikely to be the cause however as I have been able to replicate the same issue on a MS Azure instance running Ubuntu, Plesk and Acronis also .

You mentioned that in your first post, sorry I missed that. The reason I was asking is because I found this forum thread (in German) describing a similar issue and pointing the possible cause to a specific server type on Ionos.

The "error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/Acronis/.rpmdb" can also be caused because the RPM database is corrupted as described in this knowledge base article from Acronis: https://kb.acronis.com/content/65210?ckattempt=1 But I am not sure why that would cause your server to freeze.

I suggest contact Acronis for further assistance on this issue:
Customer Service and Support

You mentioned that in your first post, sorry I missed that. The reason I was asking is because I found this forum thread (in German) describing a similar issue and pointing the possible cause to a specific server type on Ionos.

The "error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/Acronis/.rpmdb" can also be caused because the RPM database is corrupted as described in this knowledge base article from Acronis: https://kb.acronis.com/content/65210?ckattempt=1 But I am not sure why that would cause your server to freeze.

I suggest contact Acronis for further assistance on this issue:
Customer Service and Support
Sadly Acronis will simply refer me back to the reseller. I had an open ticket with Plesk who were the reseller on the Azure instance and there was no response for over 3 weeks after chasing a few times.

[...] I had an open ticket with Plesk who were the reseller on the Azure instance and there was no response for over 3 weeks after chasing a few times.
On the Plesk ticket? What's you ticket number? I'd be happy to have a look at the status for you.

I can't find the original ticket number (Was probably on my work email) but here is one #95213137 I closed the ticket after 10 days when Acronis finally returned asking for access credentials to look at the issue. Clearly for such a mission critical issue such as the server crashing every few hours the expectation to wait 10 days before we even begin diagnosing is really poor!!

I am really sorry that it took so long for a response on your support request with Acronis. That's far from ideal (to put it mildly), especially when needing to recover a backup. From what I can gather the issue described in ticket 95213137 is different from the one you posted here, is that correct?

Back