• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Add basic auth to login_up.php

NickBucko

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
CentOS 7.9
Plesk version and microupdate number
18.0.57 Update #5
I would like to add basic auth to the Plesk admin panel, specifically https://domain.tld/login_up.php. IP restriction is not an option. I found the panel files in /usr/local/psa/admin/htdocs, created an htpasswd file and .htaccess. The basic auth box pops up but I'm able to cancel out of it and get the Plesk panel login page anyway. How do I properly protect the admin panel with basic auth?

Isn't the panel served by nginx (only)?
I thought so as well, haven't been able to find a definite answer. If that is the case, and I need to update a config file, I can do that. The problem is that I just don't know for sure it is and if so, do I edit a config file or add another config file so it isn't overwritten?

There is no option to add an additional webserver based password protection to the login page. Many years ago there was a similar feature request, but it never became popular, and technically there is no need to add an additional protection on that page. You can easily use the Fail2Ban jail aimed at Plesk logins to ban brute-force attacks.

Please consider posting a feature request for your business case on Feature Suggestions: Top (2011 ideas) – Your Ideas for Plesk. Make sure, please, to describe in detail why you believe adding an additional webserver based password protection to the login page is required.

As for technical implementation, Plesk panel itself is served by sw-cp-server, which is derived from nginx, and you connect to it either directly on ports 8880, 8443, or through nginx proxy on ports 80, 443. So, .htaccess is not relevant to panel access management.

Back