• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Add IP address without adding it to web server config to bind port 443

Gachl

New Pleskian
Hello

I have an IP address and I need the port 443 for a service other than https. However when adding an IP address to Plesk it automatically adds it to my apache configuration /etc/apache2/plesk.conf.d/server.conf.

How do I add an IP address without it being added as NameVirtualHost? Or can I at least deactivate SSL on this IP so it doesn't bind to 443?

Kind regards,
Gachl

Hi Gachl,

How do I add an IP address without it being added as NameVirtualHost? Or can I at least deactivate SSL on this IP so it doesn't bind to 443?

Your have missing informations about your operating system in use and your Plesk version ( incl. MU ) in use. Additional informations about your webserver version is as well helpfull and finally, there are missing informations about your webserver configuration ( apache only, apache + nginx, ... )

The missing informations just lead to setup custom webserver configuration templates, as described at:

Thanks UFHH01

I run Debian 7.9 with apache only on Plesk 12.0.18 Update #70.

The page you linked unfortunately only explains configuration of the templates. I need to remove a line from a file that is being automatically generated by Plesk. I can't just remove the line from that file because it'll be overwritten. I need to inhibit Plesk from writing this line somehow.

Last edited:
Hi Gachl,

The page you linked unfortunately only explains configuration of the templates. I need to remove a line from a file that is being automatically generated by Plesk. I can't just remove the line from that file because it'll be overwritten. I need to inhibit Plesk from writing this line somehow.

No, that's incorrect. Using CUSTOM templates, will not result in overwriting your default templates in case of updates/upgrades/patches of Plesk. Please consider to read the documentation a bit more carefully.

UFHH01 I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I didn't imply templates not preventing stuff to be overwritten, just didn't know how to remove such a specific line as the documentation doesn't really teach you PHP and *manually* removing was not an option.

I have found a way that works without having to use templates, by explicitly specifying the Listen IP and Ports in the ports.conf. I've added a Listen IP:80/Listen IP:443 for all the IPs that should be used by Apache instead of having Listen 80/Listen 443 take over all my IPs.

This prevents Apache from listening to only this port on only this IP.

Hi Gachl,

and now you are back to the case
I need to remove a line from a file that is being automatically generated by Plesk.
... because the webserver configuration files are based on exactly the default templates, which I'm refering to. In case you change something over Plesk again in the future, depending to webserver configuration files, Plesk will overwrite your manual changes in the configuration files with the configured settings from the templates. Well.... up-to-you... I just wanted to help you to do it "the right way" :)

... because the webserver configuration files are based on exactly the default templates, which I'm refering to. In case you change something over Plesk again in the future, depending to webserver configuration files, Plesk will overwrite your manual changes in the configuration files with the configured settings from the templates. Well.... up-to-you... I just wanted to help you to do it "the right way" :)
Honestly, you're only telling me things I already know. What I do NOT know is how to specify to skip a line in PHP using these templates. If you really wanted to help me you could have just pasted a one line snippet that I would then had figured out how to use in the templates. Instead you just repeated stuff that I already knew and did not help me in the first place.

Instead I have found a way that is MUCH SIMPLER because one doesn't have to know PHP and is equally "right". So thanks for nothing but your time. It kinda makes me angry how you persist on your solution being "the right way" where you didn't even provide a real solution to me.

Back