• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Question Adding a Subdomain to a domain that only has Redirects and Alias

Team-Support

New Pleskian
Hey there, I have a question.

One of our customers needs a new subdomain. However, he currently only has a redirect and 2 aliases for said redirect. If I click on "Create Subdomain" I only get an error message. Is there a way to add a subdomain for the current redirect or do I have to change that domain into a "proper" domain first? Also, if I do change it to a proper domain to create a subdomain - can I even change the main domain back to a redirect if a subdomain exists?

As you've noticed it's not possible to add a sub domain to a domain with hosting type "Forward".

There are two workaround options I can think of. First workaround would be to change the hosting type to "Hosting" and create a .htaccess file and use the file to configure the forward. This will allow you to add the sub domain. (See example for code you can use for forwarding in your .htaccess file on this link: How do I redirect my site using a .htaccess file? | Media Temple Community)

Second workaround option would be to just add the sub domain as separate (new) domain in Plesk by clicking the "Add Domain button".
Schermafbeelding 2022-02-11 om 20.08.08.png
Works fine for sub domains two. You'll manually have to add a DNS record for the subdomain to the DNS of your main domain.

Back