• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Adding also-notify in DNS (bind)

H.W.B

Regular Pleskian
Hello,

I have a question on how i can put the also-notify to every domain in de DNS (bind).
The slave DNS hosters what this, but i can't set this up in plesk.

Only the ACL allow Transfer Domains, but not the also-notify.

I there a way to get this??

Thank you

Henk

Hi H.W.B,

you have to edit your "named.conf" manually, by adding in the OPTIONS section:

Code:
notify yes;
also-notify { XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX; YYY.YYY.YYY.YYY.; ZZZ.ZZZ.ZZZ.ZZZ; };
You may add as many IPs as you wish here, which should be notified in case of changes.

Is this within the part where there is this above :
// -- THE FOLLOWING LINES WERE GENERATED BY PLESK. IF YOU MODIFY THEM, THEY WILL BE OVERWRITTEN WHEN THESE SETTINGS ARE MANAGED IN PLESK UI. --
options {

Hi H.W.B,

you just found "/etc/named.conf" which is NOT the only bind - configuration file on your server. Pls. use the "locate" command, because the configuration files - locations can vary on CentOS/RHEL and Debian/Ubuntu - based systems. Due to the case that you didn't specify your operating system, I could only give you the config - file name, but no location.

On Debina/Ubuntu - operating systems for example, the bind9 configuration file at "/etc/bind/named.conf" includes
Code:

include "/etc/bind/named.conf.options";
include "/etc/bind/named.conf.local";
include "/etc/bind/named.conf.default-zones";
... so you would add own OPTIONS - specifications either at "/etc/bind/named.conf.options", or in an additional, file, which you specify and include in "/etc/bind/named.conf".

Example for YOUR OWN SPECIFIC ADDITIONAL OPTIONS - CONFIGURATION:

Add file "MY_OWN_OPTIONS_SPECIFICATIONS.CONF" at "/etc/bind/"
Content:
Code:
options {

notify yes;
also-notify { XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX; YYY.YYY.YYY.YYY.; ZZZ.ZZZ.ZZZ.ZZZ; };

};

Include at "/etc/bind/named.conf" below "include "/etc/bind/named.conf.default-zones";" with the given example:
Code:
include "/etc/bind/MY_OWN_OPTIONS_SPECIFICATIONS.CONF";

Restart bind, so that your changes will apply.

Hello,
I have same problem, I would like to add some custom options(also notify and allow dyndns updates) but my plesk is denying it because plesk is writing own options and I can't include my own then. Any solution for this?

thanks a lot!
-Toni

$Id: named.conf,v 1.1.1.1 2001/10/15 07:44:36 kap Exp $

// -- THE FOLLOWING LINES WERE GENERATED BY PLESK. IF YOU MODIFY THEM, THEY WILL BE OVERWRITTEN WHEN THESE SETTINGS ARE MANAGED IN PLESK UI. --
options {
allow-recursion {
localhost;
};
listen-on-v6 { any; };
version "none";
directory "/var";
auth-nxdomain no;
pid-file "/var/run/named/named.pid";
};

key "rndc-key" {
algorithm hmac-md5;
secret "jbpeck/F30GQIKE5R9toRQ==";
};

controls {
inet 127.0.0.1 port 953
allow { 10.75.6.34; 127.0.0.1; } keys { "rndc-key"; };

};

zone "." {
type hint;
file "named.root";
};

zone "0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA" {
type master;
file "localhost.rev";
};
// -- END OF LINES GENERATED BY PLESK. --

// -- PLEASE ADD YOUR CUSTOM DIRECTIVES BELOW THIS LINE. --
include "/etc/MY_OWN_OPTIONS_SPECIFICATIONS.CONF";

// -- END OF YOUR CUSTOM DIRECTIVES. --
// include "/etc/MY_OWN_OPTIONS_SPECIFICATIONS.CONF";

// -- ALL LINES BELOW WERE GENERATED BY PLESK. IF YOU MODIFY THEM, THEY WILL BE OVERWRITTEN WHEN THESE SETTINGS ARE MANAGED IN PLESK UI. --

zone "localhost.localdomain" {
type master;
file "localhost.localdomain";
allow-transfer {
10.75.6.249;
common-allow-transfer;
};
};

Jul 5 11:11:27 localhost systemd: named-chroot.service failed.
Jul 5 11:14:05 localhost named-checkconf: /etc/MY_OWN_OPTIONS_SPECIFICATIONS.CONF:1: 'options' redefined near 'options'
Jul 5 11:14:05 localhost systemd: named-chroot.service: control process exited, code=exited status=1
Jul 5 11:14:05 localhost systemd: Unit named-chroot.service entered failed state.

Hi Toni Ruotsalainen,

in your case, the "options" are already redifined at for example inside "/etc/bind/named.conf.options". If this is the case, then you have to edit this config, in order to avoid issues/problems/failures.
Pls. note again, that Debian/Ubuntu and RHEL/CentOS - based systems have different configurations. To help you with your modifications it is essential, that you INCLUDE all depending configuration files, because people willing to help you can't guess them.

Thanks a lot for your reply, I don't have any included configuration files, plesk is writing it straight to named.conf and that's why cannot add my own included options.

options {
allow-recursion {
localhost;
};
listen-on-v6 { any; };
version "none";
directory "/var";
auth-nxdomain no;
};

locate named
/etc/named
/etc/named.conf
/etc/named.conf.saved_by_psa
/etc/named.iscdlv.key
/etc/named.rfc1912.zones
/etc/named.root.key

Is there in plesk any possibilities to includes options? because I think Plesk is overwriting them anyway?

Hi, thanks a lot, this was really helpful, I got working also-notify. But always some problems:)

options {
allow-recursion {
localhost;
};
listen-on-v6 { any; };
version "none";
directory "/var";
auth-nxdomain no;
notify yes;
also-notify { 10.75.6.135 port 8054; };
allow-update {
10.75.6.135;
};

};

I wanna do also dyndns updates from slave, so I allowed update from slave. I managed to do dyndns update and I can see updates by dig commands on Plesk.
dig @10.75.6.249 dyndns.10plesk.tes A

; <<>> DiG 9.3.6-P1-RedHat-9.3.6-25.P1.el5_11.8 <<>> @10.75.6.249 dyndns.10plesk.tes A
; (1 server found)
;; global options: printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 41858
;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 2

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;dyndns.10plesk.tes. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
dyndns.10plesk.tes. 86400 IN A 30.30.30.100

But UI on Plesk is then somehow broken, it's showing an old record still and reboots didn't help either.
dyndns.10plesk.tes. A 30.30.30.10

Any advise for this?
thank you again,
-Toni

Hello UFHH01.
After a recent restart of my server, i had a problem, that BIND was not starting.
When i checked i found that the solution as you mentioned was the problem.
When i disabled the include to the MY_OWN_OPTIONS_SPECIFICATIONS.CONF"n the problem was gone.
Can you help me with checking my named.conf adn MY_OWN_OPTIONS_SPECIFICATIONS.CONF" to see where there is a problem.

Thank you

Henk

Back