• The new Python extension is now available. It allows customers to deploy and manage WSGI-based Python applications on their websites directly from Plesk.
  • Debian 11 has reached its end-of-life (vendor EOL date - August 31, 2026). Plesk Obsidian 18.0.81 is the last release to support it.
    If you are running Plesk Obsidian on Debian 11, we recommend you upgrade those servers to Debian 12 using our dist-upgrade tool.
  • We plan to deprecate and remove the support for XML RPC protocol versions earlier than 1.6.9.1 in Plesk Obsidian 18.0.82. We strongly recommend that you update all existing integrations using earlier versions of the XML RPC protocol to comply with the version 1.6.9.1 specification.

Adding SMTP Port on FreeBSD

B

bray

Guest
Hello,

I am trying to add an SMTP port to 587 since port 25 is blocked by many ISP's now. I have found this kb:

===================================
Choose any unused port and add it to /etc/services file, for example:

smtp_alt 25025/tcp # new SMTP port

Then make a copy of /etc/xinetd.d/smtp_psa to smtp_psa_alt and correct
service line within file:

service smtp_alt

Then restart xinetd and SMTP connections will be also accepted to 25025 port.
===================================

I have added the new port in the /etc/services file, but on FreeBSD, I see no /etc/xinetd.d/smtp_psa file? I presume this is for Red Hat instead of BSD. Does anyone know where this smtp_psa is located in FreeBSD?

Eric
 
These instructions are FreeBSD specific ..

Found this in my notes, this is how i set mine up.

I'm pretty sure these were from a thread on this forum someplace .. but i don't have referance to the original thread, i'm sure you could find it if you did a search ..

anyway here ya go ..
Duplicate the smtp lines in your /etc/services file..
ie..
existing...
smtp 25/tcp mail #Simple Mail Transfer
smtp 25/udp mail #Simple Mail Transfer

Add
smtp1 YOURPORT/tcp #Simple Mail Transfer
smtp1 YOURPORT/udp #Simple Mail Transfer


use the submission port :587 - used by sendmail as smtp, i use it on all my BSD boxes ..
_____________________________________
Next, update your /etc/inetd.conf file...
Look for the line that Plesk added, something like....
smtp stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/psa...(the rest of line)
Duplicate and add the entire line, and change the reference to smtp
to smtp1..ie...
smtp1 stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/psa...(the rest of line)

Restart inetd.. (send a sighup.. killall -1 inetd) as the root user.
 
Do this steps work in Ubuntu???? I'm new to linux so i don't weant to mess it up... and i do need to change my SMTP port cause my ISP is blocking port 25.
 
Back
Top