• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Additional Administrator Accounts

R

Robert Steck

I am able to create Additional Administrator Accounts in our Windows Plesk Control Panel, but not in our Linux Plesk Control Panel. Can this be done?

Right, you can't create additional admin's account on Unix Plesk. This possibility was not implemented there.

Right, you can't create additional admin's account on Unix Plesk. This possibility was not implemented there.

Is there a work around? Can this get added to a feature list for a future release?

Robert,

Well. I have submitted this request to developers. But could you please clarify a little bit for what purpose you need this possibility? What is the main goal of additional admin's account?
Thank you.

Robert,

Well. I have submitted this request to developers. But could you please clarify a little bit for what purpose you need this possibility? What is the main goal of additional admin's account?
Thank you.

I would like to have the same functionally as the additional admin accounts that the windows version has. The purpose for this is that I, as the IT manager, can have my own account with a password that I know and that my employees can have their own login to perform the same functions as the admin i.e. add new clients, managed/edit clients, add new domains, manage/edit domains, etc.

Thank you for pursuing this functionality on the Linux side.

Robert,

Ok. I see. But what difference between you and your employers with admin accounts in this case? Why you can't use the same admin's account?

PCI DSS Manditory

IgorG Take a look at the PCI DSS 1.2 requirements :

https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/security_standards/download.html?id=pci_dss_v1-2.pdf

Requirement 8: Assign a unique ID to each person with computer access.

Assigning a unique identification (ID) to each person with access ensures that each individual is uniquely accountable for his or her actions. When such accountability is in place, actions taken on critical data and systems are performed by, and can be traced to, known and authorized users.

It seems to me that as the plesk admin user you have full access to the server, files, databases and all card holder data for any sites that are hosted. In its current form can plesk even pass PCI DSS certification with only a single admin login used by multiple staff?

With multiple admin users you could actually see who did something using plesks "Action log" viewer. Right now its not much help as multiple staff all use the admin user.

From the demo of parallels new "Parallels Small Business Panel" it seems that that product has a more advanced "role based" permissions system that should be easy to plugin into plesk.

Thank you for clarifications. I have informed developers with your opinions and reasons.

According information from developers feature request was submitted and I hope it will be implemented in the one of nearest Plesk releases.

Still nothing on this in 10.1.1 as far as I can see. Has anyone found a way to add additional administrator accounts under Linux?

this was brought up in Nov, 2009 and until now Dec, 2011 (more than 2 years), and it has not been implemented yet?
This is such an important feature....this means I cannot have more than 1 admin for site, because I do not want them to share accounts.
The reason is well mentioned in post #7

Pull your fingers out Parallels.

Currently we have several people sharing plesk admin account.

This should never happen, but we are forced to do this.

I need each administrator to have their own login so I can easily cancel their account when they leave our company, and if an admin mucks things up, I need to be able to see which person actually did it.

Any update in 2012 or will this request continue being ignored?

Just to let my opinion as user/administrator that this is a very important feature.

This is pretty par for the course - Parallels develops what they want to see or what their large customers want, not what the public want to see. Of course cPanel is the same, we've had feature requests in their queue since 2006.

I've only just started using the Linux version having previously only used the Windows version.

I can't believe there is no way to create additional admin accounts with the ability to assign roles the same as on Windows. It is totally unacceptable, this is about as basic a feature as they come.

When is this going to be addressed?

Jon L:

That is no way to ask for help or submit a feature request. Please show a little respect. The admin user for the Linux version of Plesk is the same as the Root user for the operating system. This may require more development than either you and I are aware of, not being programmers.

Jon L:

That is no way to ask for help or submit a feature request. Please show a little respect.

What a load of B.S. Jesse.

It's not like it's the initial request for that feature.

This has been requested since 2009. People have a right to get frustrated when Parallels ignore their requests for such obvious and basic features that should have been there from the start.

Everyone knows this should have been added years ago. Thousands of companies require it and are putting their businesses at risk by sharing the same admin user account amongst staff.

Parallels could add multiple administrators functionality in one or two weeks if they wanted.

Parallels/Igor - got a response, or do you choose to keep ignoring this feature request?

EDIT - I won't be responding to any further posts about peoples manners, respect, or anything else that is not directly relevant to this issue with Plesk. This is a Plesk forum, not a forum to discuss anything else.

Last edited:
What a load of B.S. Jesse.

It's not like it's the initial request for that feature.

This has been requested since 2009. People have a right to get frustrated when Parallels ignore their requests for such obvious and basic features that should have been there from the start.

Everyone knows this should have been added years ago. Thousands of companies require it and are putting their businesses at risk by sharing the same admin user account amongst staff.

Parallels could add multiple administrators functionality in one or two weeks if they wanted.

Parallels/Igor - got a response, or do you choose to keep ignoring this feature request?

More disrespect and nonconstructive criticism. None of this is going to help the feature come out faster.

Additional Admin Accounts for Plesk 11 Linux?

It seems that this feature has still not been implemented? Or can I just not find it in the CP under Tools and Settings ?

Even I, a non techie, know that the most basic IT access security requirement for any system is one user - one unique login. Obviously there is technical challenge to this otherwise I assume it would have been implemented.

I am now in the position where I have to give a freelance support my admin account username and password...

....Is there a work around?

Thanks

Back