• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Input Advice On How To Fix A Possible cURL Problem Please?

GregoryRasputin

New Pleskian
Hi
I have been using Plesk for over a year now and it works perfectly, apart from a minor problem that I cannot seem to fix nor do I know how to fix it.

I have ran my forum which is using Invision Board for about five years, I also run several MediaWiki sites and have done so for the same amount of time, however before I used Plesk I was using cPanel and Apache.
On my forum I have a plugin which sends a notifcation to Discord when someone posts a new article, I also have an extension for the MediaWiki sites, which sends a notification to Discord when someone edits or creates a new page, these worked fine on cPanel and Apache.
But ever since moving to Plesk and Ninx they have stopped working and I have been spending the last 12 - 14 months on and off trying to figure out what the problem is, with no success, giving up each time I tried and leaving it for another few weeks.
Recently I created a new MediaWiki site and decided to install an extension that would send notifications to Twitter when an article was edited or created and this did not work.

The thing that seems to tie these three plugins/extensions is cURL, which I have installed correctly to my knowledge as well as having the cURL extension working.

If it helps, this is the error I get when posting an article on the forum that triggers the forum to Discord plugin:
GET /forums/topic/6325-test-article/ HTTP/1.0 - Apache SSL/TLS access

And this is the error I get when using MediaWiki when triggering the Discord and Twitter extensions:
GET /ps5devwiki/index.php?title=Testpage HTTP/1.0 - Apache SSL/TLS access

Both errors look similar.

I would be extremley thankful for any help or advice that would help with this problem.

What do you mean by "sends a notification"? By E-Mail? By POST? By cURL?
I assume it sends notifications by cURL, the description for the MediaWiki to Discord extendion says this:

Integrate Discord with MediaWiki. The DiscordNotifications extension sends notifications of actions in MediaWiki like adding, removing or deleting an article into designated Discord channel(s).

The actual extension code says this:
// What method will be used to send the data to Discord server. By default this is "curl" which only works if you have the curl extension enabled. This can be: "curl" or "file_get_contents". Default: "curl"
$wgDiscordSendMethod = "curl";

So i assume cURL is the method used for sending a notification, I have tried "file_get_contents" with this specific extension and it does not work either.

I just abut manage to run my server, I have a minimum understanding of getting things to work, I know enough to install software like Plesk, firewall and others, I can follow a tutorial quite well or a set of instructions, this is the reason I am assuming that cURL is used to send the notifications as opposed to knowing for sure.

You have provided two lines from access_log, but have you also checked error_log for entries?
On the MediaWiki to Twitter extension I got this error:
[Tue Jan 05 11:35:00.822679 2021] [proxy_fcgi:error] [pid 540203:tid 139900118046464] [client 78.***.***.**:0] AH01071: Got error 'PHP message: PHP Notice: Undefined index: UserGroup in /var/www/vhosts/redacted.net/httpdocs/ps5devwiki/extensions/TweetANew/TweetANew.body.php on line 269', referer: redacted.net/ps5devwiki/index.php?title=Testpage&action=edit
[Tue Jan 05 11:38:36.725985 2021] [proxy_fcgi:error] [pid 505538:tid 139899852265216] [client 78.***.***.**:0] AH01071: Got error 'PHP message: PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '-' in /var/www/vhosts/redacted.net/httpdocs/ps5devwiki/index.php on line 2', referer: redacted.net/ps5devwiki/index.php?title=Testpage
[Tue Jan 05 11:38:48.282962 2021] [proxy_fcgi:error] [pid 540203:tid 139900118046464] [client 78.***.***.**:0] AH01071: Got error 'PHP message: PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '-' in /var/www/vhosts/redacted.net/httpdocs/ps5devwiki/index.php on line 2'

I reinstalled the extension and have not recieved any errors yet, it is still not working though.
The Discord extension for MediaWiki and the Discord plugin for IPB do not give any errors :/

Last edited:
Would this not be rather an issue with the software or software development? How is this related to Plesk other that than the websites are running on a server that has a Plesk user interface?

Would this not be rather an issue with the software or software development? How is this related to Plesk other that than the websites are running on a server that has a Plesk user interface?
It worked fine when I was using cPanel, but when I moved to Plesk it stopped working, this is what has led me to believe that it is Plesk or something that happened when moving to Plesk, or a setting within Plesk that is preventing these extensions/plugins from
working

It is almost impossible to diagnose such issues when there are no specific error messages. As I understood the error you are seeing is either without any error message or with something very general like: "It does not work." Maybe you had a different PHP version at your previous provider? Maybe a data path is different so that required data are missing for the connection? Maybe the connection is done to a specific port, but that port is blocked on your server? Maybe some read/write permissions are missing? I think the best thing to do is to find a way to create log entries or real error messages when the connection fails. Maybe the endpoint has a log where you can at least find out if a connection is established at all or if the connection fails in the first place.

Back