• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue After migrating non-mail domain it starts rewriting addresses with catch-all

mr-wolf

Silver Pleskian
Plesk Guru
I have a Plesk server which I also use as a relay server for some Exchange servers.
I'm doing this for years and years.

They have these entries:
Code:
# grep client.nl /etc/postfix/transport
client.nl                smtp:remote.client.nl:25
.client.nl               smtp:remote.client.nl:25

Code:
# grep client /etc/postfix/relay_domains
client.nl                OK

Today I migrated their website to that same server.
The webserver had its mail turned off and no mail addresses were configured.
It did have an entry on the original server that non-deliverable mail should be sent to [email protected]
Because mail was turned off for that domain this is discarded.

As soon as I migrated the domain to that server it started to rewrite all mail to [email protected] and sent it to remote.client.nl

Code:
/var/log/maillog:Apr 10 15:51:29 ns4 postfix/smtp[8763]: 041ED3520A86: to=<[email protected]>, orig_to=<[email protected]>, relay=remote.client.nl[47.74.16.70]:25, delay=6.9, delays=1.1/0/0.67/5.2, dsn=5.1.1, status=bounced (host remote.client.nl[47.74.16.70] said: 550 5.1.1 User unknown (in reply to RCPT TO command))

I was able to solve it by turning the mail on and then off.

So even though the mail is turned off at the source server it would get enabled on the target although it still shows as turned off....

The whole relaying part I'm doing could be discarded as a prerequisite for this bug.

Today I migrated only domains that have their mail disabled on Plesk, so I can also test if the domain just accepts mail.
I do need to create an email-account to test it.

Edit:

I just tested it with an account that had no relaying. I added a mail-address to the account, but it didn't accept mail. That's good.

Still...
The mail is in a different state if I turn it on and then off again.
It stops rewriting the recipient address to the catch-all after that.

Last edited:
during migration it writes that catch-all address to virtual_mailbox_domains even though it is turned off...

I've seen more examples of messing with mail during migration even if mail is disabled or one has chosen not to migrate mail...
The same with the restore from a back-up.

Back