• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved All Temporary domains now inaccessible after Plesk Obsidian 18.0.54 Update #1

Christopher-James

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian 18.0.54 Update #1
Hi

My server auto updated today and now all my temporary PLESK domains are innaccesible.

Working fine this morning, then immediatly after update to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.54 Update #1, i cannot access them, all i get is the error below in the browser.

Code:
This site can’t be reached
The web page at https://competent-hodgkin.77-68-90-151.plesk.page/ might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.
ERR_INVALID_RESPONSE

In the logs all access errors give the code
Code:
Precondition Required status code

Hi @Christopher-James, now this is a really interesting post! I must admit that I had never heard of "428 Precondition Required" before, but checking this here I saw that this is indeed a valid response code and technically correct for the protective banner that is expected to be delivered to users from a website that runs on a Plesk temporary domain.

In this moment I do not have a solution for you, but we will for sure check this case here soon and hopefully find out more about it. We'll keep you posted.

Hi @Christopher-James, now this is a really interesting post! I must admit that I had never heard of "428 Precondition Required" before, but checking this here I saw that this is indeed a valid response code and technically correct for the protective banner that is expected to be delivered to users from a website that runs on a Plesk temporary domain.

In this moment I do not have a solution for you, but we will for sure check this case here soon and hopefully find out more about it. We'll keep you posted.
Hi @Peter Debik

Thanks for the reply, is there any way I can roll back my PLESK version? I need to access my temp domains. I did try a new temp domain with a fresh wordpress install, this still gives the same issues.

A downgrade is not possible.

Indeed, we already see that this issue occurs on some temporary domains, but not on all. So maybe a third or fourth could work.

Another affordable solution could be to create subdomains to just one single paid domain name that you may already have or newly register. This keep costs down to a minimum for you and for sure solve the issue. You'll also not have the warning message inserted into the output when you use a real domain or subdomain. As subdomains are free, your investment would just be one single real domain name, and that could be the cheapest you can get, maybe a .work or .eu. Treat the subdomain like a fully qualified main domain, e.g. do not use "Add subdomain", but simply use it as the main domain of the site.

@Peter Debik

Yes we have multiple domains and have unlimited sub domaains, the only problem is we have 4 servers running PLESK and we develop and build multiple sites using temp domains, luckily I caught this in time and stopped the other 3 from auto updating.

Hope this issue can be be resolved soon

The root cause was identified. Previously, the confirmation box was sent with an HTML status code 200. That was actually not perfectly correct. With the update this was corrected to the status code 428, but Nginx has the habit to omit a certain header line in that case if not explicitly specified. We will fix this in a hotfix for Plesk 18.0.54 very soon, internal ID PPPM-14083.

As a temporary workaround we suggest to do the following:
  1. Run a part of the plesk daily task manually:
    as root: plesk daily -f LoadCustomizations
  2. Re-configure the affected domain with
    as root plesk repair web competent-hodgkin.77-68-90-151.plesk.page -y

The root cause was identified. Previously, the confirmation box was sent with an HTML status code 200. That was actually not perfectly correct. With the update this was corrected to the status code 428, but Nginx has the habit to omit a certain header line in that case if not explicitly specified. We will fix this in a hotfix for Plesk 18.0.54 very soon, internal ID PPPM-14083.

As a temporary workaround we suggest to do the following:
  1. Run a part of the plesk daily task manually:
    as root: plesk daily -f LoadCustomizations
  2. Re-configure the affected domain with
    as root plesk repair web competent-hodgkin.77-68-90-151.plesk.page -y
Thanks @Peter Debik, much appreciated

Back