• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Almalinux 9.0

speedbird

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
Almalinux
Plesk version and microupdate number
Hey there,
just wanted to check if Alma 9.0 is safe to use for a new setup or if 8.6 is the way to go?

Thanks.

AlmaLinux 9 is not yet supported by Plesk, see: Software Requirements for Plesk Obsidian

I suggest you keep checking Change Log for Plesk Obsidian, I'm pretty sure that we will see AlmaLinux 9 support at some point

Hi there! First of all I want to mention that I completely understand that I have to read the release notes to see if a new operating system is supported by Plesk. However, I do want to ask if there is an ETA for AlmaLinux 9 support for Plesk already or if this is unknown. Thanks!

Hey there,
just wanted to check if Alma 9.0 is safe to use for a new setup or if 8.6 is the way to go?

Thanks.

I'm wondering the same about Rocky Linux 9, as I need to get away from Centos 7.9 and want maximum support life.

I just learned how easy it is to update from 8 to 9 on this site: How to Upgrade your Servers from Rocky Linux 8 to 9, which will be the same process for Alma.

You could also set up a VM with version 9 and try installing Plesk and go where no man has gone before, which I might do. For production, I'm going with 8.6 for now, and when 9 is supported, it's a simple procedure.

Can I ask you what is so essential and critical that you expect in AlmaLinux 9? Why do you need its support so urgently?
I for one have to start development on a new server. If there's no in-place upgrade then having a potential ETA is very helpful. We'd much rather wait on the new code base than develop on a codebase that will be EOL years earlier when all we had to do was wait a few months. We're a small company right now.

I recommend to wait a bit longer with any decisions. It is possible that "Elevate" matures in 2023, because there are millions of users based on CentOS 7.9 who all need to migrate, so it will make a lot of sense to have a software for it. If this software does not come, by the end of 2023 you'd still have another six months to do a manual migration. Who knows that the next year will bring when you migrate right now.

Still waiting for AlmaLinux 9 Support. :-(
What do you mean 'Still'? It's not like the Plesk development team are a bunch of wizards (well, they kinda are) swooping their magic wands around and after saying a spell AlmaLinux 9 is suddenly supported. It takes a fair bit of work to get Plesk ready and stable for AL 9. AlmaLinux 9 released just shy of four months ago. I have no information on when AL 9 will be supported, however for comparison CentOS 8 was supported by Plesk 6 months after the release date.

Have patience, it will come.

Can I ask you what is so essential and critical that you expect in AlmaLinux 9? Why do you need its support so urgently?
Would also answer the question for our company ... in the coming weeks there are some planned Plesk server installations. And we would also prefer to use the latest OS version because it saves us headaches in the medium/long term...
As an example, 2 of our larger Plesk servers which are still running on Centos 6 ... were both installed when Centos 6 was already on the market but unfortunately Plesk did not support them yet ... but unfortunately we could not wait any longer with the installation for our customers ...
From that point of view, an early support of RHEL9 would of course be very pleasing ... ;-)

From my experience, I wouldn't run a production server on a x.0 or x.1 release from Red Hat as they are usually pretty buggy, and sometimes things change between them and the following releases. I always wait until the x.2 or x.3 release.

Have a look at the release dates from Red Hat: Red Hat Enterprise Linux Release Dates - Red Hat Customer Portal
The 9.2 release will be available around April 2023. That release is most likely stable enough to run on a production server.

In the meantime, things don't stop for the 8.* releases; there are still lots of new features and bug fixes:

So, yeah, Plesk version .48 got released, and guess what?

giphy.gif

Back