• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Alternative FTP server

D

dstanley

Hi

Is it possible to use an alternative ftp server to the proftpd one bundled with plesk

If so is there a way to set it so that in plesk admin you can change ftp accounts/passwords.

I ask because: Whenever i FTP on any account in 7.5.3 .. A zero byte file is created on the server and my ftp software tells me is cannot upload the file

Have you tried any of the following:

1. Chown the user : group on all folders to the domain's ftpusername : psaserv

chown -R ftpusername : psaserv (without the spaces surrounding the : )

2. Forced a re-install of the psa-proftpd package?

3. Tested with SSH (connect then open an SSH ftp window) to upload files to see if that works?

4. Check the perms on the folders:

drwxr-x--- 5 ftpusername psaserv 4096 Jul 8 06:14 anon_ftp

drwxr-xr-x 2 root psaserv 4096 Apr 27 13:37 conf
drwxrwxrwx 3 ftpusername psaserv 4096 Apr 27 13:37 incoming
drwxr-xr-x 2 ftpusername psaserv 4096 Apr 27 13:37 pub

Notice: the uid on the 'conf' directory is root, not the ftpusername.

You can always setup another ftp program, even a separate copy of standard proftpd as a standalone server, looks like Plesk creates the ftpuser accounts as regular linux users with the appropriate settings (group psacln, /bin/false, home directory)

Originally posted by jamesyeeoc
H. Tested with SSH (connect then open an SSH ftp window) to upload files to see if that works?

Well one of the servers is a fresh install. But have done a forced reinstall to no avail.

Is a SSH ftp window the same as the SSH.com file transfer program? (GUI interface for browsing/uploading/downloading to server?)

Will try the groups & permissions.

I've also tested at various locations on various machienes using most ftp programs but not luck.

Is a SSH ftp window the same as the SSH.com file transfer program? (GUI interface for browsing/uploading/downloading to server?)
Yup, that's exactly it (glad to know I'm not the only one using SSH.com's stuff!

(hope I don't get confused with multiple ftp threads going on!)

Back