• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Amazon Route53 error

Mark Montague

New Pleskian
I'm using Plesk's AMI on Amazon EC2. It is Plesk Onyx 17.8 under CentOS 7.

I have registered a domain (let's call it example.com) and I am hosting the domain on Amazon Route53. I want to let Plesk customers create websites (test1.example.com, test2.example.com, and so on) under this subdomain automatically, without an admin needing to manually update DNS for them first.

I installed the Amazon Route53 extension and configured it. I can create the domain example.com in Plesk, it shows up in Route53, and everything works great. But if I then try to create a customer with a subscription for test1.example.com, I get the following error message:

Error: Failed zone creation test1.example.com.: Cannot create hosted zone with DelegationSetId DelegationSetId:N12VYZMJTPL46X as the DNSName test1.example.com. conflicts with existing ones sharing the delegation set

test1.example.com does not show up in Route53.

The same error happens if I try to create a subdomain under Domains -> Add Subdomain in Plesk.

Is there any way to enable customers to create websites under a Route53 hosted domain? If so, where am I going wrong above? Or do I need to stop using Route53 and instead point the domain at the DNS server running on the Plesk EC2 instance?

Thanks for any help.

-- Mark

I see that you have already submitted corresponding ticket #133414 to Plesk Support Team.
Please share solution from Support Team here.

Here is the reply from the Plesk Support Team:

Thank you for contacting Plesk Technical Support.
As the issue reproduces during direct zone creation in the Route53 it means that issue on AWS side, thus I suggest you contact AWS support.
And error message in Plesk just replicate from Amazon side.
Here (error on apply : conflicts with existing ones sharing the delega) suggested to remove hosted zone, however I suggest review zone with ID N12VYZMJTPL46X here https://console.aws.amazon.com/route53/home#hosted-zones:

As for your questions: You do it right way, and Route53 extension created especially for the purpose of synchronization DNS zones information between Plesk and Amazon name servers.

Let me know if I missed something.
I have not tried yet, but my guess is that the Amazon support team will say, "We are not to help with non-Amazon products, please try contacting the Plesk support team".

Plesk has successfully created the top-level zone, example.com, and has created a subscription under that zone for www.example.com as well as mail, webmail, ftp, and ipv4. The Plesk Amazon Route53 extension is able to successfully sync the zone at that point, which suggests to me that everything is OK. The problem only comes after trying to create any new subzone or subscription underneath example.com -- for example, a web site at test1.example.com. The error message says that this name (test1.example.com) conflicts with existing names, but after I got the error I tried creating an A record for test1.example.com through Route53 directly and I was able to manually create it without any problem.

I think I will need to read the PHP code for the Plesk Route53 extension and find out exactly what Route53 API call is failing, what the arguments to that API call are, and see how what the extension is trying but failing to do differs from what I can successfully do by hand.

-- Mark

I've solved the problem. By reading the code, I found that the Plesk Amazon Route53 extension was failing when calling the Route53 API action CreateHostedZone. The documentation for the action says that the error occurs when creating a child zone of a public zone if the child zone delegation set has any name servers in common with the public zone.

I found that I only had a single delegation set configured in the Plesk Amazon Route53 extension and that it was marked as default and used for the parent zone (example.com), and this was the cause of the error since Plesk was also trying to use the same delegation set to create the child zone. I created a new delegation set and marked the new one as default. I was then able to successfully create web sites under example.com (for example, test1.example.com) and have them show up properly in Amazon Route53.

-- Mark

Back