• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Amazon S3 Extension

webk

New Pleskian
Before I buy the S3 extension:
I have seen you can make global S3 settings but also each customer account can define its own settings.

The main benefit for us would be that customers could create backups but these would not be stored directly on the server but in an S3 bucket. However, the customer would not have to be able to make any settings - just as if the backups were stored locally.

Is the extension suitable for this scenario?
Server admin sets bucket and credentials. Customer can only select whether he wants to create the backup e.g. via FTP or S3, but cannot make his own S3 settings.

Are there any restrictions that can be set via panel.ini?

Thanks in advance for your help, Sandro

If you mean setting up the global S3 settings to all customers including the server, then setting the restriction via service plan to not allow remote storage "Backup and restoration of subscription data using remote storage" (meaning his own remote settings) and they can choose to backup the data via S3 directly.(the server S3 bucket)

Unfortunately that's not possible as far as I know, the customers has to contact you if they want to restore something from the main server S3 bucket. although it's a good feature to allow the customers to create a bucket directly without configuring their own S3 remote settings but I guess Plesk will not consider it due to it's security risk.

Google drive is your best bid for your customers.

Thank you for your reply.

If you mean setting up the global S3 settings to all customers including the server, then setting the restriction via service plan to not allow remote storage "Backup and restoration of subscription data using remote storage" (meaning his own remote settings) and they can choose to backup the data via S3 directly.(the server S3 bucket)
Tried that but doesn't seem to be working. If I remove access to "Backup and restoration of subscription data using remote storage" than the customer sees only the local storage (which in the end is /var/lib/psa/dumps I guess) but not an option for "Server S3". It looks as if the server S3 is only visible under Tools & Settings > Backups and for customers everyone has to store his own S3 credentials.

Maybe my assumptions were wrong. I thought it was the same as server storage, where a folder is created for each customer/domain and each customer only sees his backups. Then a bucket would have sufficed if Plesk had created the same structure in it. The goal would not have been to have own buckts per customer but simply to use S3 storage instead of server storage without the customer having to configure anything.

The customer does not need to have as many options as possible for the backup (like Google drive) but simply be able to save to S3 (so that no local storage is occupied by backups) without needing to configure S3.

But maybe this is not possible at all?

you're right, It's not possible to automatically let the customers backup to the cloud account that you manage. but it's not impossible with Plesk.
if this is must for you there is workaround for it, if you want to manage your customers backups, configure their remote settings with one IAM user and restricted policy and assign a bucket for each of them once manually and let theme backup to S3.

Back