• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Apache always full restart for any change?

jmin

Basic Pleskian
Hello,

I noticed that for every change performed on any of the hosted domains (add/delete subdomain, activate/deactivate webmail, etc) a full restart for apache is done, and it takes quite a time to to apache get alive agin so the "neighborhood" domains are affected (sometimes severely).

There 110 domains hosted on this Plesk 17 Onix.
It si running on LXC, Centos 7, 16GbRAM, 12 virtual cores.
Apache restart interval is stet to 100 seconds.

I'd like to know if this is normal ...
Is there any way to speed this process up?

Besides, I also noticed that init process (PID 1) takes 100% of CPU time.

Thank you so much.

Hi jmin,

I'd like to know if this is normal ...
Yes, is the answer, if you are asking, if a restart is really necessary in described cases.

Fine tuning your basic apache configuration is a system administrator task and can't be done with the help of Plesk. Often enough you may disable some of your modules, to speed up the restart, which should "normally" not take longer than up to 5-10 seconds with your hardware specifications and you have as well the choice to configure your child processes in a more accurat way. This answer should answer your question:
Is there any way to speed this process up?

... but you have as well the choice to do a "graceful restart" with your apache:

Besides, I also noticed that init process (PID 1) takes 100% of CPU time.
And what kind of issues do you experience, if a process takes up to 100% of one of your CPU cores?

"Cgroups Manager" is available for CentOS 7 as well, which could help you to configure your system ressources limits:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi UFHH01,

Thank you for the graceful restart tip, I think it will bring me some peace :)

And what kind of issues do you experience, if a process takes up to 100% of one of your CPU cores?
When init process takes (constantly) 100%, I noticed systemctl gets stuck for any command, as if it were dead.

Thanks a lot,
Jorge.

interesting...

what is the difference between "Graceful Restart of Apache" and " restart of apache not using graceful"?

thanks

Hi larryk,

while a standart "restart" kills all existent child processes from the main ( parent ) apache service and then restarts the main ( parent ) service and its defined childs ( using the existent configuration files ), the "graceful restart" sends a signal to exit towards the child processes, after their current requests are finished and then reloads the apache configuration files ( parent and childs ).

Back