• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved apache run whit customer user not whit www-data

fabian koeppel

Basic Pleskian
It is possible not to run the apache with www-data, but with the respective plesk user. Just like php fpm. In the top one sees there the user. It's good. But unfortunately not at apache. For everything it is www-data. Unfortunately, it happens so over and over again that hacked joomlas / wordpress vhost overlap damage. It is perl scripte made which runs over www-data and then in the top can not be assigned to the user. Apache itself, this option provides each vhost a separate user and apache task. Can this plesk? Sometimes I use joomla / Wordpress to create hack whit php an make perl scripte and cronjop, and then start per cronjop perlscripte, this run per www-data to i can not see the user. Because the cronjob is therefore add on www-data. There are many examples where www-data is bad. Plesk customer user as with php fpm is nice. when apache run whit customer user then is this very safety. not change to write in a other vhost. Sorry for my bad english

Hi fabian koeppel,

the vhosts structure on servers controlled with the help of Plesk ist described at:

Pls. get rid of the "old fashioned" way to code scripts for the system - user "www-data" ( or "apache" on CentOS/RHEL - based systems ), as this is not only unsecure, but as well depricated by now. ;)
The user and group permissions depend on several services and configuration files when you use apache, nginx and php-handlers on servers controlled with the help of Plesk. You might change that manually, but it is not all recommended, because you might experience 40X and 50X - errors in case of misconfigurations, which could as well lead to non-functioning options/components at your Plesk Control Panel. If you insist of re-configuring the permissions to your unique desires, pls. do this on your own risk and without any support from people willing to help you and even worse, without any support from Plesk. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Back