• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Application database settings

UnS3eN

Basic Pleskian
Migrating databases from Plesk machine to a dedicated server.
Copy database, create user, change the connection settings for the site - site works fine.

The issue is that Plesk interface is not allowing me to delete to old locally hosted database. The Remove button is greyed out and it's says it's related to the domain which cannot be changed.
1622735032315.png

I can always just delete the database manually, but I'd rather doing it properly without leaving orphaned records in the psa db.

Where is this data kept? How can I remove old associated databases if Plesk won't allow me to?

Just to understand: You are keeping your website on the Plesk server but the database is on a dedicated server, correct? And you previously installed Wordpress via Plesk on your website before moving the database to a dedicated server, right?

In that case (if you want to continue to use Wordpress Toolkit) then I would suggest you perform the following steps (at your own risk!):
  1. Register your dedicated database server in Plesk (Tools & Settings => Database Servers). Now you should have 2 database servers: "localhost" and the external one.
  2. Clone your existing website in Wordpress Toolkit to a subdomain like temp.yourdomain.tld and make sure you are using the local database server for this. This will create a new local database for Wordpress and will update your wp-config.php file.
  3. Manually import the content of the remote database to that new database (only needed if you changed something in Wordpress since your first migration).
  4. Delete your main website (including Wordpress, database. Just everything...)
  5. Clone your Wordpress on the subdomain website back to your main domain using Wordpress Toolkit but select your dedicated database server this time. This should create a new database on your external database server and update your wp-config.php file accordingly.
  6. Once you're sure that everything works, delete the subdomain and the old dedicated database.
Ah and please create a backup before doing this ;) I haven't tested it myself, it's just the first thing that came to my mind....

Thanks for the reply, Monty.

1. Already registered. I'm able to clone databases to that server via Plesk panel.
2-6. That is a hell of a run around. Especially when you consider there's over 250 sites I'm moving the databases for.

I'm able to copy the database and update the wp-config with the new database credentials. I just need a way to delete the old database after doing that.

I was hoping I could just update these WP app settings in the PSA database.

Last edited:
Back