• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Applying php settings for a subdomain disables parent domain and viceversa

Theck

New Pleskian
Hello,

I've created a subdomain for testing purposes (dev.maindomain.com) and then I copied the files from httpdocs to the new dev subdomain directory.

When I try to load the page it fails with a 500 server error but no error is shown. It's like the cgi process fails before getting to the PHP. It fails even with an empty php file.

Then I went to the php settings of the subdomain and changed FastCGI settings to Off and the site started working but then the main site shows the same problem and it stopped working.

After some tests it seems that changing any setting in PHP settings fixes one site but make the other fail and vice-versa, if then I go to the failing domain and change something and apply, then this site works and the other stops working.

Any clue? Anywhere I can take a look? No php error is generated in the logs section.

Many thanks,
Xavier Borrut

There's no error shown, only "The FastCGI process exited unexpectedly"

Module FastCgiModule
Notification ExecuteRequestHandler
Handler PHP-php
Error Code 0xfffffffe

It's not related to the php code, even an empty php file will drop the error. No lines are added to the error_log.

I have not seen this on Linux yet. Is this on Windows? Asking, because there are several articles on it for Windows based Plesk, e.g.

Hello again,

Yes, it's a Windows Machine.
I've been trying the links you provided and I fear that no one matches the problem here. I'll try to do an extended explanation of what we did so it may ring a bell.

Initial state
We have a site that we'll call "mainsite.com", working without problems.

What we're trying to achieve
Create a dev.mainsite.com subdomain to test some new features before putting them in the production site.

Steps
1- In Plesk, created the subdomain under mainsite.com
2- Via remote desktop, copied the files from mainsite.com httpdocs to the new dev.mainsite.com folder

Result
Site dev.mainsite.com throws a 500 server error, fast-cgi error.

Tests
1- HTML pages works without problem
2- PHP files does not work even without code (an empty php page fails anyway). It seems it does not reach the php-cgi.exe before failing.
3- Via remote desktop tried to change file permissions to "total control", no change.
4- Deactivated all Web scripting languages but php. No effect.
5- Changed PHP settings (see below)

Strange behaviour
When we changed "basedir" setting from the dev.mainsite.com to "none" and then a basedir error appeared. Then we switched back to the default value and the site started to work. But then, mainsite.com stopped working.
If we then go to mainsite.com PHP settings and change the "basedir" to "none" then the basedir error appear and when we switch it back to default mainsite.com starts working and dev.mainsite.com fails again.

It's important to note that it seems it's not important what setting or value do we change in the PHP settings . We also tried to disable/enable Fast-CGI settings and the effect is the same. When you apply the changes it restores the site and disables the other one.

Many thanks,

Back