• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Applying upgrades via Panel or SSH

XabierT

New Pleskian
Hi all,

I have a server with parallels plesk panel 11.0.9 version.
Apache 2.2.15
PHP 5.3.3
MySQL 5.1.67

Normally, I use to apply updates directly from the panel interface but when i'm connected via SSH and type the command "yum upgrade" there are a lot of packages ready for an update.

Should I apply this upgrades from SSH?
How it would affect to the plesk panel services?

Thanks in advance for your help.

P.D: I'm novel user with parallels.

P.D: I'm novel user with parallels.

You have linux server that is running with parallels, and you don't know what yum update/upgrade (or apt-get) is / what is doing?

No matter if we're talking about yum (centos) or apt-get, both of this commands combined with update/upgrade are getting the list of new available packages and will install them. This does not effect specific to the plesk updates, but core packages for the system you're running on, e.g. a lot of security packages.

yum (apt-get) update/upgrade is like in windows when you're applying new updates.

Hi Mislav0!

Thanks for your quickly response.

So, Can I make an upgrade of the CentOs packages without having any problem with Plesk Panel?
I want to be sure of that... there are some Kernel packages (firmware and headers) that will be updated and I feel insecure...

Thanks again!

Hello. I don't want to be responsible if something happens...I don't know situation of your server, what exactly is there and how things work, you run the server, so you decide.

Of course you are not responsible if something happens!
Anyway, could you please recommend me some information about this issue?
I'll be very grateful!
Greetings!

Plesk components can be upgraded by Plesk autoinstaller. OS components can be upgraded by OS package manager. So, you can upgrade OS components on own risk. Just do not forget create fresh backup of whole server before.

Thank you both for your explanations.
Now I have clear about how to proceed with the upgrade.
I'll post the result!

Back