• Please be aware: Kaspersky Anti-Virus has been deprecated
    With the upgrade to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.64, "Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Servers" will be automatically removed from the servers it is installed on. We recommend that you migrate to Sophos Anti-Virus for Servers.
  • The Horde webmail has been deprecated. Its complete removal is scheduled for April 2025. For details and recommended actions, see the Feature and Deprecation Plan.

Question AWS Lightsail Restore from Snapshot

threehares

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 22.04
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian v18.0.62_build1800240724.11
Hi All!

I am a Plesk neophyte, no question. Just started experimenting with it over the last couple of weeks in AWS Lightsail. I have some experience with it in a physical hosting environment, but I am new to hosting it in AWS. I thought that launching it in Lightsail would be the simplest method for my team. Works great, but I have a contingency scenario question that I hope someone has insight on. I searched the question, but couldn't find anything.

Say the AWS instance completely crashes and you need to restore an AWS Lightsail Plesk instance from an snapshot (if advisable or possible), are there CLI commands or configuration files where you need to update the newly assigned IPv6 IP address assigned to the instance? Is this even possible?

Thanks!

Hi there, I think this chapter from our documentation might be useful to read and might answer your question.

Beware that licenses are bound the server IP. If you recover to a another server/instance with a different public IP you need a license for that server as well.

Hi Kaspar, thank you for the information, this is helpful. For AWS Lightsail instances, you can bind the static IPv4 public IP to a new instance, but I don't think it's possible for IPv6. It assigns a new IPv6 IP to the new instance and there doesn't seem to be a way to reassign the IPv6 IP address to the new instance, only the static IPv4 IP address.

That said, if the license is bound to the IP address is it bound to the IPv4 address or the IPv6 address?

Thank you!

Back